 Robotics / 14923
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:29:40 GMT

Dean, it's probably dumb luck that the two drives on the piece I'm working
on have little slack.  Yet, with LEGO beams and blocks you can't use every
gear combination; there are published beam/block/plate combinations that let
this or that pair of gears mesh.  Someone will do that for chain, someday.

There's another thing you should have mentioned:  The less chain slack the
greater the force between shafts and associated friction.

Regards, Jerry

You're kidding, right?  It's almost impossible to build a geartrain using
the chain that doesn't have tons of reversal delay.  The links seem to be
designed in such a way that they don't work well with technic beams and
gears.  I always have quite a bit of chain slack.

Also, the chain is beautifully made.  When I show it to people, they don't
want to give it back.  They want to play with it...!

With this I fully agree.