 Robotics / 14924
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:26:21 GMT

You're kidding, right?  It's almost impossible to build a geartrain using
the chain that doesn't have tons of reversal delay.  The links seem to be
designed in such a way that they don't work well with technic beams and
gears.  I always have quite a bit of chain slack.

If you use a tensioner arrangement, then it works OK.  I haven't really played
around with much more than simple weight tensioners (mostly for conveyer
use...the catapilar treads are great for that!), but imagine you could come up
with a rubber band or spring based solution.  It still will have some backlash,
but much less than a normal construction.

James