 Robotics / 14919
Re: Lubricating technic turntables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:14:03 GMT

I have a few opinions on the lubrication issue:

1.  I would be wary of anything water-soluble/organic as it might grow mold
etc and perhaps start to smell.  Leave some out for a week or two and give
it the 'nose' test before using.

2.  Even though silicone is clear and inert I would not use that because it
'creeps'.  Soon, all your LEGO parts will become coated with a thin layer,
attracting dirt.  Also, it's hard to wash off.  I managed a bank of silicone
addition pumps in a plastic-molding plant and trying to keep the equipment
clean was a major problem.

3.  My choice would be white lithium grease, that you can purchase in small
tubes at an automotive supply store.  Service people use it on car hinges
because it does not do serious damage to clothing.  Again, I would find a
LEGO block and test it first to be sure that it is compatable with that plastic.

Regards, Jerry

In lugnet.robotics, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
Hey!

Some lubricant's are especially made for lubricating thin latex night
wear that I won't mention since this is a family news station... Let's
just say the latex thingie is used to keep the number of kidos down.

But I bet the clerks will wrinkle their eyebrow if you walk up to a
desk with not-said lubricant and a large box of LEGOs :)

/Tobbe

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:16:39 GMT, "Troy McLucas" <tmclucas@psu.edu>