 Robotics / 14840
  Lubricating technic turntables

Greetings, Any suggestions to safely yet effectively lubricate technic turntables? I have four which are somewhat stiff and require a fair amount of torque to rotate. Thanks in advance! Cheers, Carl Jagt (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) DISCLAIMER: I've never tried this... I'd definitely avoid any kind of liquid lubricant. I'd guess that a dry graphite lubricant would work - the kind of thing that's recommended for lubricating door locks that comes with a nice thin nozzle to (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

I did that on my oldest turntable : took it apart, thoroughly removed all dust and added a SMALL drop of silicone oil. Works fine since... Philo (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

Oil may work well on turntables, but don't use them for pneumatics. I oiled them with some kind of oil (I can't remember), and now they stick and stutter when you pull them. They seem to operate fine now, but not if they get much worse. I would not (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:3AC937B7.A66D86...ail.net... (...) turntables? I (...) to (...) Hmm... I have an older turntable (circa 1995ish) and I'd lubricated it about a year after I got it with HO train (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

I read somewhere in the past as an official "Legostatement" from TLC - that no lubricants of any kind should be used with the gears, wheels, axles, pcs. etc... However, it sounds like some people have had success using controlled amounts. I do know (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

How about graphite? I don't think that will degrade plastic. (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

yeah, probably work real good,,,,,interesting , But I would'nt use it my self. (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Lubricating technic turntables

Graphite could work, and should be safe. I've been using it for model train couplers, which are made from Delrin. It comes in a little tube, and you sort of "puff" it on. Kadee is the manufacturer, and it should be available in the model train (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) Why not? Graphite's carbon rings are most definitely not going to harm ABS plastic. Is it a purism thing? (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) Why would one "never know"? This is chemistry, not astrology. Graphene sheets (the molecular unit of graphite) are quite stable and inert. Most hydrocarbon oils should also be fine for turntables and other parts with all-ABS construction (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

You got me pegged, it's a purism thing, I pride myself on never cutting or altering pieces, glueing or lubricating. Just work those pieces and they'll loosen up! Get'em... GRRRRR....Eric (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) That's okay, I'm a purist too. I once spent several frustrating hours completely redesigning the drivetrain on one of my robots so I wouldn't have to trim down four 8L cross axles to 7L. However, when you consider lubricating a turntable (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

Good point, well taken, I'm glad at least 5L axle was produced! (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

How about a water-based lubricant instead of petroleum-based? If it's safe for latex...why not ABS? :) Use it sparingly and only as a last resort. Personally, I doubt I would use graphite. Graphite would be a little too messy for me. -Troy (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

<snip> from using different types of yoyos and other things i have found that the best for inert lubricating is silicon lubricant, there are also some other lubes for nylon that i can't think of but i do know that they are out there. some vcr repair (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) Before someone ruins their pneumatics..... Brake Fluid will ruin many plastics, will remove paint, and can even damage certain types of rubber seals. The rubber parts in an automotive brake system are made from special rubber that is made to (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

Hey! Some lubricant's are especially made for lubricating thin latex night wear that I won't mention since this is a family news station... Let's just say the latex thingie is used to keep the number of kidos down. But I bet the clerks will wrinkle (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

I have a few opinions on the lubrication issue: 1. I would be wary of anything water-soluble/organic as it might grow mold etc and perhaps start to smell. Leave some out for a week or two and give it the 'nose' test before using. 2. Even though (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) small (BANGS HEAD) THAT WAS IT!!! lithium grease. man oh man why couldn't i think of that. it evens quiets things very well. mike "hitting his head" fusion (23 years ago, 6-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating technic turntables

(...) For lubing up my Pneumatics, I used Permatex Super lube, A synthetic grease made by Loctite. Seems to act like any other grease, and have not had any problems with it. Chris Pritchard (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)