 Robotics / 14881
Re: Lubricating technic turntables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 04:45:06 GMT

Good point, well taken, I'm glad at least 5L axle was produced!

In lugnet.robotics, Micah J. Mabelitini writes:
Eric Sophie wrote:

You got me pegged, it's a purism thing, I pride myself on never cutting or
altering pieces, glueing or lubricating. Just work those pieces and they'll
loosen up! Get'em... GRRRRR....Eric

That's okay, I'm a purist too. I once spent several frustrating hours
completely redesigning the drivetrain on one of my robots so I wouldn't
have to trim down four 8L cross axles to 7L. However, when you consider
lubricating a turntable versus breaking it in, you actually may be
modifying the turntable less by lubricating it than you would by
breaking it in. After all, if the turntable turns more easily after
break-in, there has technically been some degree of modification to the
part, probably a slight planing on the contact surfaces that might not
otherwise occur if the turntable were lubricated.