 Publishing / 3275
Re: Scans are back!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:29:05 GMT

Hello Kevin, hello everybody,

I certainly appreciate the enormous amount of work that you and others put
into brickshelf over the years, and the value this has created for the LEGO
community. This is why I found it very disturbing to see the LEGO(r)
instruction and catalog archive go offline a few weeks ago. I certainly
didn't understand the reason for it, because the press release didn't say
that the LEGO Group has intervened in any way. Also, it was no entirely
clear from it, what the reasons for transforming brickshelf into a company
were, and why this made it necessary to take the archive off the net. Maybe
that has been discussed here but then, I am just subscribing to this group
as I write this ...

Now, all of this did not seem important and disputable enough when it
happened to start a discussion back then. However, in the announcement I am
replying to, one sentence caught my attention:

All submissions become property of Brickshelf L.L.C.

In my opinion, this is by far too simplistic and extensive.
Does it mean I will not have the right to use the scans I created and
submitted to brickshelf in other ways, as I see fit (of course limited by
the LEGO Group's copyright)?
Does that mean Brickshelf L.L.C. will have the right to use my scans
commercially (of course, again, limited by what the LEGO Group permits
them)?
I think this point needs modification or at least clarification before I
will submit any more scans ...

In a nutshell, I would like to prevent ...
... that the availability of a resource like the LEGO(r) instruction and
    catalog archive depends on a single individual and his decisions [1]
... that anybody can make commercial profit from the work of others.
    [2] [3]

This is not intended to charge upon you, Kevin, but mostly the result of my
thoughts and conclusions from a couple of weeks without the brickshelf
archive. The announcement just gave me a hook to get started writing
something down. I hope you can see some constructive ideas shine through the
cover of frustration ...

Greetings

Horst

[1] Not because I mistrust that individual, or because I neglect his work
    on the project, but because all the others, who have also put work
    into it, should have their share in deciding its fate. This requires
    that they at least have the right to put the scans they personally
    created on other web sites of their choice, in addition to personal
    use.

[2] Note that this does not rule out potential commercial services per se.
    Linux Distributors, for example, are providing distribution and support
    services around Linux, which I don't see as making money from the work
    of others. I can imagine a similar model for the brickshelf archive,
    but, again, that needs clarification, much in the way the GNU Public
    License and its derivates provides for the industry built around free
    software.

[3] I have always been very annoyed when I saw ebayers sell CDs of LEGO
    instruction scans, which in most cases presumably have been copies of
    the brickshelf archive. So, also from this direction, I see the need
    to be a lot clearer on what people are allowed to do with data they
    get from brickshelf and what not.