 Publishing / 3300
Re: Scans are back!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:52:18 GMT

Hello Richard,

In a nutshell, I would like to prevent ...
... that the availability of a resource like the LEGO(r) instruction and
catalog archive depends on a single individual and his decisions [1]

I think Kevin gets this privilege de facto because he is the one maintaining
the library.  That some other person(s) should have a backed up copy of the
library would probably be prudent and has hopefully already been accomplished.

I have no problem with Kevin deciding alone what to do with his copy of the
scans. However, trying to exclude people who contributed the scans, which is
what I understand from the sentence:

is not something I will accept for the scans I submit.

... that anybody can make commercial profit from the work of others.

I don't have a problem if the profit is either for Kevin or to fund the
library.  I suppose it depends on the amount of the profit in question, but
this remains speculative for now...

Funding the library is not profit. Profit Kevin gets for his work is not
profit from the work of others. So, I think I can agree to what you say.

[3] I have always been very annoyed when I saw ebayers sell CDs of LEGO
instruction scans, which in most cases presumably have been copies of
the brickshelf archive. So, also from this direction, I see the need
to be a lot clearer on what people are allowed to do with data they
get from brickshelf and what not.

As stated elsewhere, I think it might be cool if Brickshelf made disks like
this itself and preempted others from doing so...again in the hopes of
funding the online library or giving Kevin some payback for the time he has
invested.

Agree 100%.

I think it goes without saying that the true owners of the scanned material
remains TLC.

I am well aware of that fact.

If someone scans something, they can probably do with it as
they will unless TLC objects.  Kevin probably doesn't have standing to
pursue the matter.

Right. But if someone get scans from Kevin's archive, Kevin probably HAS
standing to pursue that matter. Of course, he can still decide not to do so.

Greetings

Horst