 Publishing / 3273
Re: Scans are back!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:35:54 GMT

I admit I was one of those who was upset, but I was not angry at Kevin.
After all, he DID do all the right things that are necessary when making the
transition from a hobbyist to a business person.  I am glad that LEGO(r) has
given him special permission to have the scans available. As for not having
current instructions/catalogs available - perfectly understandable. After
all, LEGO is in this business for the money (of course, so long as they keep
the customers happy, the customers will happily give them more money for
more products).

Now I can continue on my private little LEGO Castle History project. :)

Of course, when my finances allows ("in between jobs" as they say), I'll be
wanting to make a donation to the Brickshelf L.L.C. operating fund.
Brickshelf is definately worth keeping around. :)

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Salm writes:
In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch writes:
Brickshelf L.L.C is pleased to announce that its LEGO(r)
instruction and catalog archive is now available online at
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/ .  This archive contains
scans submitted by hundreds of LEGO fans that are organized, indexed
and presented by Brickshelf.  Its availability is made possible
with special permission and generous support from the LEGO Company.

I applaud the integrity shown by Kevin Loch for requesting explicit permission
from The Lego Company to make instruction and catalog scans available on a
commercial web site  BEFORE  actually doing so.  As Kevin and others have
pointed out, a non-profit hobby site is a simple matter, but hosting non-owned
proprietary information on a commercial site is very different.
Thankfully, we got the outcome that is best for Lego fans everywhere.

I also applaud the policy that instructions for currently available items are
not presented for viewing on Brickshelf.  The reasons for this are complex and
it is a policy that should persist unless and until The Lego Company makes this
practice unneccessary.

Now, for everyone who was upset or angry with the temporary removal of the Scan
Library, please consider how complicated the entire matter has been for Kevin
Loch.  His efforts on behalf of the Scan Library have paid off in a very short
period of time.  We are now left with the best possible outcome.
Remember that all good things take time.

__Kevin Salm__
....Over 20 years experience playing with Lego toys....