 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3960
Re: announcing the "My Own Creation" series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:30:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Pedro Silva writes:
Just plain great!
This IS the way to go. My only dislike is that this set will not be sold on
stores - it could be a "bait" for the kids, making their interest in LEGO
grow again to pre '96 levels. Why not try stores, call it a "test" or so...
I am sure the set would sell great!
Fine set, you do have a taste at LEGO.

Pedro
(very pleased with the news! Ok, not *too fresh*, but anyway... :-)

Pedro,

This is just a guess based on my own experience dealing with distributors....

I think the reason the price is so great (only $40.00) is because these
won't be available in the stores!  Retail chains and and distribution add
*huge* margins onto products.  Lego probably only sees 1/3 of the overall
profit when a set is sold in the stores.  On the otherhand, Lego will see
100% of the profit for the Blacksmith shop because no retail chain will be
dipping their greedy fingers into the pot.  If this was offered in the
stores it would probably be priced around $60.00......

The price has to be the same from Lego Direct as the stores, otherwise the
stores would quick selling Lego.  It's every companies dilema with online
sales.  If done correctly, online sales make selling much less expensive.
How to pass these savings on to the consumer is the problem.  Lego is doing
a very, very smart thing by selling this only online....

-Aaron