 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3868
Re: announcing the "My Own Creation" series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:18:08 GMT

"Markassius" <mark.de.kock@NOSPAM.home.nl> wrote in message

No, don't license the Spamckae to LD. We won't be able to use it ourself.
Most of my spaceships would have to swap engines, as their Spamcake-driven
ones would be illegal then.
But seriuosly, it would make a great set!
Mark -what's that? another exploding Spamcake fuelcell?- de Kock

You bring up a good point.  I agree with you here.

Thanks to Tom McDonald, Spamcake is now a community icon.  I appreciate all
LEGO Direct is doing to 'reach out' to us in the community by offering the
products we want - and now even products made by community members - but, I
hope Spamcake remains off-limits.

I do not want to have to put disclaimers on references to Spamcake, and I
don't want lawyers after me if I choose to display a spamcake logo anywhere.
I'd rather take issues of my use of the Spamcake name and logo up with my
good friend Tom, who will most likely tell me its fine, and politely ask for
a reference back to his pages.

I like what I see when LEGO Direct and the community work together, and I'm
not trying to poo-poo enthusiasm.  But taking a look at the way something
like the licensing of Spamcake would effect the freedom of the community
members (and especially the creator) to continue building on the Spamcake
name and idea, its something I feel is best left untouched by LEGO and in
the hands of the community.

-Tim