 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3853
Re: announcing the "My Own Creation" series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:40:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

Allan Bedford Disclaimer:  Due to the significantly positive nature of this
announcement, my response will be all thumbs up.  Constructive criticism
will wait for further follow-ups.  ;)

LEGO Direct is extremely pleased to announce the launch of the "My Own
Creation" series, which features original designs by LEGO enthusiasts. The
first set to be released in the MOC series is the Blacksmith Shop with an
original design by Dan Siskind.

A big step for LEGO Direct, a giant leap for the LEGO company.  This is a
very special event and something not unlike some of the suggestions that
have been made on LUGNET.  Is someone out there listening?  :)

The Blacksmith Shop is, to our knowledge, the first LEGO set ever released
by LEGO that was *not* designed in-house by our designers. If anything,
we're more excited about this series than anything LEGO Direct has offered
to date -- the MOC sets really show off what *anyone* can do with LEGO if he
(or she) puts his (or her) imagination to work. And isn't that the truest
expression of the LEGO brand?

It is... it is... it is...  Have you passed along these comments to the
mother ship?  The interesting thing is that LEGO Direct is beginning to set
trends that harken back to the good old days.  When this branch of the
company goes public, please be sure to make us aware of the IPO date so that
I can buy some shares.  This sort of activity really needs to be encouraged
and supported.

LEGO is all about what *you* can imagine and
create -- and not necessarily what our designers can dream up. We know that
you and other enthusiasts (of all ages, because believe me, kids are doing
some amazing stuff too!) have built some incredible creations; we want to
help share that creativity with as many other LEGO enthusiasts as we can --
because by sharing, we share what makes LEGO great. So that's why we
launched the MOC series.

Now you've called it a 'series', can we hold you to that?  :)

Obviously, the biggest question on everyone's mind is how the designs for
the series are (or will be) selected. Let me state up front that we will
*not* accept unsolicited designs (this isn't anything new -- we've never
accepted such submissions). We're proactively selecting the designs that we
will use. (As Dan noted in his post, we contacted him.) So please, please,
please, don't send us pictures or boxes full of your creations unless we ask
you for them

Brad, I think you were smart to clarify this right up front.  Thank you.

I think my only comment here would be to say that whatever you do, I hope
you make it fair for everyone and that anyone who has a good model
potentially has a chance of having it chosen.

-- for legal reasons, we must return unsolicited design
contributions to you. (You can imagine that I've got the company attorneys
nervous enough just licensing outside designs to begin with!)

Tell the attorneys that you are doing the "work of the brick" and that they
should loosen their ties.

What makes me laugh is that if they didn't like this licensing deal, then
how much valium did it take to get them to approve the Star Wars and Harry
Potter deals?

Members of our team do look constantly at what's being created by you (we
peruse Brickshelf, the Guild of Bricksmiths sites, personal home pages; we
keep an eye out at various events, LEGO Club, and LUG gatherings; we get
recommendations from other enthusiasts -- and that's just a little of what
we do). We know there are thousands of great creations out there -- but
we're just getting started with this, so give us some time.

It's so nice to hear confirmation that LEGO sites on the web (not just
LUGNET) are sources of information for the company.  I think this probably
gives a sense of worth to some smaller sites/pages that post quality models
and/or other information but may feel overshadowed by the almighty LUGNET.

We will probably
take many different paths with the selection process: we may have a contest
around a specific theme; we may select an existing design; we may commission
an entirely new design. Anything is possible. And yes, we are compensating
the creators for their designs (in order for us to produce a set as an
"official" LEGO set, we must own all rights to the design).

We hope to make the MOC series an ongoing one, but -- as with so many of the
initiatives we have launched in the last year (sculptures, trains, Legends)
-- we've never done anything like this before, so we'll have to see what
happens once this hits the market. (I'm not particularly worried, though;
let's just say that there's absolutely no question anymore about whether the
sculptures, trains, and Legends were good ideas! I see no reason that the
MOC series will not perform equally well.) We'll be giving this product lots
of support -- it's on the back cover of the January 2002 LEGO Shop At Home
catalog (due in a couple of weeks), and we'll be giving it prominent play on
LEGO.com as well.

Since I'm sure I've been removed from the mailing list (for all the comments
made in my Fast Company article about the summer catalog) perhaps some kind
soul will agree to share their copy with me.  :)

(You may ask -- at least I know Allan Bedford will! -- why we aren't posting
this announcement on LEGO.com.

<HUMBLE MODE ON>

Imagine my surprise at seeing my name mentioned.  I hope I haven't become
too much of a pain.  :)

I just want to drift off-topic for a moment to state something.  I've said
this before in various places, but it's worth repeating.  Any and all
comments/criticism/suggestions/rants etc. that I make are always directed
towards the company and its business practices; they are never personal and
are not directed at any individuals within the organization.  My reason for
making them remains the same now as when I first began posting to
rec.toys.LEGO... I feel that the company has strayed from the path of the
bricks.  However, my optimism that things will get better never ceases.

</HUMBLE MODE OFF>

The answer is that traditionally, we
"prelaunch" many of our themes for the next year in mid- to late December
--for example, the new Alpha Team, Soccer, and Racers sets are in the online
shop right now; Harry Potter and Star Wars are coming next week. But
*marketing* of the new products doesn't actually take place until the New
Year begins. We want to keep our marketing focus on the current year's
products through Christmas, and then turn to the new themes. But that
doesn't mean that we can't sneak some products out early....)

Brad, just let me say this...

I cannot and will not argue with your explanation.  For two reasons:

1) It makes sense.  It's a practice the company has decided upon and you are
not the only business that puts a moritorium on changes just before the new
year.

2) You took the time to provide an explanation which answered a
question/concern that was posted as a reply to one of your announcements.
Anyone who has read any of my recent postings will know immediately that
this has been a real thorn in my side.  Thanks Brad for addressing it.

(Completely silly side note:  Is it really just co-incidence that an
announcement was again made on a Friday?  Have I been watching too many
X-Files reruns?)  ;)

The Blacksmith Shop will be sold exclusively through LEGO Shop At Home in all
LEGO Shop At Home markets. It is available for preorder on LEGO.com now --
it is listed under "Hard to Find" in the Shop At Home Exclusives category,
but we will soon be adding it to the Castle category as well. The price is
$39.99 in the US, and will be equivalently priced in other markets.

Even directly converted, that price is only about $65.00 Canadian.  And for
so many bricks!!!  It does raise questions about the pricing of other sets
but I'll save it, I promised I would.  :)

(I'll post in the next few days regarding some other issues raised recently
here. We're not ignoring anything anyone has said, but please bear in mind
that this is absolutely our craziest time of the year so it's more difficult
to get the time to respond than usual. Thanks in advance for your patience.)

As someone who has practically 'demanded' information and answers, please
let me say that I do have a deep appreciation for the craziness associated
with this time of the year.  I spent more than a decade in the trenches of
retail sales and have seen the frenzy associated with holiday shopping first
hand.  I also know that the suppliers and manufacturers feel the same
pressure, trying to get the right amount of the right products into stores
at the right time.  Which unfortunately is sometimes why I ride you guys so
hard... I've seen the way other companies do it and I guess I always like to
think there is a better way.

Take a deep breath folks, only 2 weeks and it'll all be over.  :)

As always, Play Well. Best wishes for a happy holiday from all of us at
LEGO. And may Santa leave many bricks beneath your tree.

May Santa deliver lots of orders for the first set in your My Own Creation
series.  Again, congratulations and well done on a big step forward.

All the best,
Allan B.