 LEGO Company / 1928
Re: Bulk Bricks online survey - results...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 00:20:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Thomas Main wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Eric Brok wrote:
<snip>
Besides other parts, I voted heavily on 1x2 and 1x4 bricks. Let me explain.

I would love to have basic bulk bricks available in some of the newer colors,
especially dark blue, dark red, dark green, dark tan and dark orange.

This is why I think this survey was flawed in its design.  Some people went in
with the approach that they were voting for colors, while others concentrated on
parts.  Because of this dichotomy, the results probably show neither the colors
most wanted nor the parts most wanted (especially).  Unless by random chance,
the most wanted color and part matched.

<snip>
This is also to show that it will require some insightful thinking by TLC to
translate the survey results into a bulk assortment that will sell well in
reality. Our discussion here of the results should contribute to such insight.

Eric

And I think it would be nearly impossible to determine the actual wants from
this survey.  To try would be a sloppy stab in the dark at best.  I am very
disappointed in the results and this is coming from someone who had two of his
desired parts on the list (the mullioned window pane and macaroni brick). May I
suggest:

A "do-over"

This time, running two distinct parts of the survey:  one for most wanted colors
and a separate one for most wanted parts.  Also, eliminating some rare parts
from the survey that probably aren't realistic to produce would help focus the
desired part portion of the survey.

Also, although it is called a "bulk brick" survey, I think that term has to be
understood in the context of how TLC sells bulk packs.  They are not selling
items in true bulk, but small part selections.  I seriously doubt whether one
part would ever be sold in a quantity above 100.  What is more likely, is a
parts pack type of "bulk offering" that they have done in the past.  This may
also influence how people vote.

In short, if this is to be used as a tool to make a business decision by TLC, I
think TLC should go extra lengths to make sure it is a worthwhile tool that
accurately reflects people's true desires.  As it stands, I have no confidence
in these results.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com

Thank you for your reply in this thread since it explains my thoughts as well.
      This survey was quite vague in what you were actually supposed to be
thinking about. Personally I picked parts that are rare but I would use in a lot
of projects and would interest others as well. The criteria used to choose parts
differed from person to person which basically gives you unclear results.  All
that was needed  was a short blurb stating “ please pick parts that you wish to
purchase bulk quantities of” or “ please pick parts that you would like to use
but are rare or don’t exist” this would have given  you much better results and
more usable information.

OnDrew
p.s. How did 1x1 tiles make it on to the list? They weren’t even an option when
I took the survey.

P.s.s. thank you Richard Morton for putting the survey site together. Even with
the vague instructions which I know weren’t your fault the site was very easy to
navigate and fun to use.