 General / 54940
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:03:30 GMT

"Purple Dave" <purple_daveAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

[ .... snipped ... ]

Now, to be fair, you did miss a few, like the original OMG set (10030 UCS
ISD,
2002, for which the only design directive was "make it cool"), the first
two
items based on modern weapons of war (3451 Sopwith Camel, 2001 & 10024 Red
Baron, 2002), the first airplane (10124 Wright Flyer, 2004) and the first
major
architectural landmark sculpture (Statue of Liberty Sculpture, 2000).  Of
those
four, he might have had some involvement in the greenlighting of the ISD
set,
and clearly couldn't have been involved with the Statue of Liberty.  I'm
guessing the Sopwith Camel was already in the works when he got hired, and
the
Red Baron probably came as an extension to that, but both of those sets
retailed
for only $50, so they're not quite so clearly keyed to the AFOL community.

[ ... snipped ... ]

I had breakfast with Jake one time when I was in Dallas (probably 4-5 years
ago) and he told me the story of the Statue of Liberty.  Brad Justus made it
happen.  He had a personal interest in it (he was from New York - as some
may recall, when LEGO Direct first popped up it was in NYC with Brad in
charge) and pushed LEGO to release it as a set.  The intitial model was
white, not the green it got released in.

Mike

--
Mike Walsh -- mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com
LEGO Blog:  http://blog.carolinatrainbuilders.com