 General / 54882
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
The other day I got another "You still play with LEGO?".  I replied with: "No, I
design and build models made from LEGO."  That didn't seem to help much.

Next time, either say:

"You still watch grown men chase a ball around a field?" or something similar.

I'd like to start a list of ideas and suggestions on how we might improve how
other adults view LEGO as a hobby.  Any ideas?

That's a tall order.  Outside of sports, are there any other hobbies that truly
bridge the child/adult gap?  When a brand has spent decades aggressively
marketing itself as a children's toy that fosters creativity and learning, it
difficult to switch gears and say "and now we've always been for adults, too."

I know, I know; early LEGO kits were indeed favored for their architectural
challenges, but if you ask 100 non AFOLs on the street, fewer than 1 of them
will know this fact.

Something that I think would help is LEGO or LEGO branded items in the work
place.  Nothing cooky or over-done, but something that is detailed enough to
have people ask "Wow, is that really made of LEGO?"  I thought about making nice
looking book ends for my text books or a business card holder.

Tyco tried something very similar back in the 80's, producing a fully
LEGO-compatible phone and calculator.  I kept the latter on my desk, in fact,
and pretty much everyone who saw it remarked on it, but it was always with an
air of nostalgia: "I loved LEGOs (sic) when I was a kid."

Thoughts?  Any other ways to improve the hobby image of LEGO?

Why does it matter, ultimately?  I don't build with my bricks for anyone's sake
but mine (and my kids'), so it makes no difference to me whether someone else
thinks that it's a kids' hobby; that's their error, not mine.

Dave!