 General / 54908
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:38:18 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
   The other day I got another “You still play with LEGO?”. I replied with: “No, I design and build models made from LEGO.” That didn’t seem to help much.

I’d like to start a list of ideas and suggestions on how we might improve how other adults view LEGO as a hobby. Any ideas?

I think it’s all in your attitude. And by “you” I don’t just mean you, Scott, but AFOLs in general. If you talk about it with confidence and pride, people tend to respect that. If you talk about it with any timidity or shame in your voice, however, people pick up on that too.

In the past year or two I’ve been totally “out of the closet” about LEGO...
  • I have LEGO on my desk at work - currently a loop of LEGO train track with a LEGO train on it. In the past I’ve had buildings and the remote control dinosaur. When people come visit my office they often play with them, and I explain about my club, BayLUG, and train shows and my blog, Brickpile.
  • I have a license plate on my car that says “I (heart) LEGO” (California lets you put certain symbols on custom plates).
  • I carry Brickpile business cards around and hand them out all the time.
  • LEGO is all over my Facebook pages, and Brickpile entries and Flickr uploads show up on my FriendFeed.
  • People send me links to LEGO news online, like the 50th anniversary thing or the minifig 30th anniversary, both this year.
What can LEGO do? Well, it would be nice to offer more public acknowledgement of AFOLs. I think their existing site should be kid-oriented, but they could create a new adult site (afol.lego.com or something like that) with forums and stuff that would be more geared toward adults. Make it ages 15 and up or something reasonable, since TFOLs (T for Teen) tend to fall through the cracks a lot.

But that said, we need to recognize that it’s important in marketing to maintain a primary focus on your target audience. I think that’s why adults get so little public attention from LEGO. I think it’s why girls get so little attention too; they see their demographic as boys of certain age groups, as that’s who buys (or asks their parents to buy) the most product. So, we shouldn’t expect a lot of adult-oriented marketing from LEGO. I think their current practice of supporting the brick conventions and having certain adult-targeted sets is probably enough.