 General / 54890
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 03:53:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Gregory wrote:
Even if you only get a small token payment for a show, the concept of
getting money for building with LEGOs seems to make the idea click in
people's heads.

I don't generally mention payments that the club receives for shows because our
members aren't actually _paid_ to participate.  We try to reimburse stuff like
parking and any applicable admission costs (though we always try to make sure we
get free tickets for attendees in addition to any appearance fees), but noone
actually pulls in money that they haven't already paid out of pocket.

What I do mention is the one paid commission that some of us took on a while
back, which was the Kellogg's Cereal City project.  I try not to think too hard
about how little I got paid if you break it down by hour (I think I put in 14
days on that project, ranging from 6-12 hours each), but I keep photos of the
end result on my iPod so I can show them off whenever I need to help generate a
little respect.  The other thing I keep on my iPod that gets regular viewing is
a video I shot at NMRA 2007.  It was our club's biggest display ever (and that's
not counting all the other clubs that were involved), so I built a special
intermodal car that would _safely_ haul my camera around the layout, facing
inwards.  We ran it as fast as we could and still be able to identify stuff
that's zipping past in the foreground, and it still runs 3-4 minutes for a
single circuit of the main loop.  That, more than anything else, got some
respect from my coworkers.

Sometimes I try to turn their questions back on them with something
like, "You still watch football?"

Huh.  I say something similar, but it's less a question starting with "you still
watch" and more a declaration starting with a one-syllable word that provides
some nice alliteration with the word "football".  Besides, everyone knows that
beach volleyball is where it's at.