 General / 54887
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:05:35 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
The other day I got another "You still play with LEGO?".  I replied with: "No, I
design and build models made from LEGO."  That didn't seem to help much.

I'd like to start a list of ideas and suggestions on how we might improve how
other adults view LEGO as a hobby.  Any ideas?

Something that I think would help is LEGO or LEGO branded items in the work
place.  Nothing cooky or over-done, but something that is detailed enough to
have people ask "Wow, is that really made of LEGO?"  I thought about making nice
looking book ends for my text books or a business card holder.

Of course, I'd also like to see some other things like a leather note pad with a
subtle LEGO logo and other items used or worn in the work place.

Thoughts?  Any other ways to improve the hobby image of LEGO?

Thanks,
Scott

I usually just reply that I don’t  "play" with LEGO - I design and build. If
they can’t understand that... well, their problem...

That being said, I think that TLC could do a bit more to get adults into LEGO.
For example, take a look at their website. Is that for adults or children? I
mean: take a look at the online shop. Seriously, does every sentence have to end
with "!"? How many times can they use the words "awesome", "cool", "fantastic"
and so on...  And what about the forums? Every message has to be checked by a
moderator. And the forums are still filled with "cooolllll!!!!", "gawwdd",
"awsom!" Well, I’m sure you get the point. Sometimes I wonder if TLC ever asked
adults what they felt about the website. I know what I feel: I’ve just entered
kiddy-land...

TLC needs to cater a bit more to their adult customers. For example: why did
they close the old Mindstorms forum? It was a nice forum where we discussed
things like adults. There was no moderation, and yet the tone was calm and
civilized. Now that’s gone, and there’s no way that I’m going to enter the new
Mindstorms forum - there’s nothing of interest there.  And the trend goes on
with the NXTlog. You can hardly say anything in there. No links are allowed. All
text and pictures are moderated. I feel very... Well, almost unwelcome there.
Everything I do is checked and doublet checked. Posts take days, if not weeks,
to get published. And there’s no way to contact the moderators...

Sigh, sorry ‘bout that. I didn’t mean to rant. But these last few years I’ve
felt like TLC moved further and further away from me. They are all about the
kids now. And if that’s how others feel as well...? Well, I can easily
understand why they would feel that we AFOLs are playing with LEGO and being
childish...