 General / 54924
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:10:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Sterling wrote:
This is a little off-topic, but I gotta agree with Mr. Eaton here.  I don't
think it's fair to blast LEGO for "not catering to the adult market".  If we do
a real quick review of sets geared more towards adults in the past 5-6 years I
come up with a great list.

10020 Santa Fe Super Chief
10025 Santa Fe Cars I
10022 Santa Fe Cars II
10182 Cafe Corner
10181 Eiffel Tower
10189 Taj Mahal
8275 Motorized Bulldozer
10177 Boeing 787 Dreamliner
10143 UCS Death Star II
10188 Death Star
10179 UCS Millennium Falcon
10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive
10152 Maersk Sealand
10185 Green Grocer
10190 Market Street
8527 Mindstorms NXT

...and the list goes on and on

I think LEGO has done a phenomenal job of catering to the adult fan since at
least 2002 (if not before) and they continue to get better each year.  Like Dave
mentions, they had to transition between being a "toy company" to appealing to a
wide age range while still maintaining their core customer group which is
children.  All of the community involvement initiatives have been great and have
really helped to improve the community and their community development team
actively listens to our concerns and ideas.  I don't know of any other toy
company that has this relationship with its fans.

Now I'm not going to go all fanboy and say that the situation is perfect as
there is always room for improvement.  However, I genuinely believe that LEGO is
striving for continuous improvement and sustainable improvement in marketing to
and developing for AFoL's.  They now have a business model that allows them to
market to children as well as adults...and (here's the key point)...still remain
profitable.  This year was a great year for LEGO and I am even more excited for
2009 based on the "rumor mill".

-Dave
ToT-LUG

To be honest, in my opinion there’s nothing particularly "adult" about those
sets - they’re just models (albeit rather impressive models) with a high brick
count and an even higher price tag.

What I would really like to see, is the possibility of making bulk buys directly
from TLC. Why does TLC not cater to those AFOLs who dreams of building large
models? Why do I have to rely on Bricklink to make bulk buys? Think of the
models one could build if system bricks were available at production price plus
packaging and shipping? I know I would be spending a lot more money on LEGO if
that was possible...