 General / 54881
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:59:29 GMT

I've had that same kind of question asked of me before.  My response differs on
the way that they ask it.  For example, the question, "You still play with
LEGOs?  What are you a little kid or something?" would be retorted to with,
"Well, if I made dinky little helicopters like I did when I was a kid, then yes,
that would be lame.  My club makes huge detailed layouts, and people pay a nice
chunk of change for us to do a show for them."  Even if you only get a small
token payment for a show, the concept of getting money for building with LEGOs
seems to make the idea click in people's heads.

Sometimes I try to turn their questions back on them with something like, "You
still watch football?"  It helps keep things in perspective when you make people
realize that we all have things in our lives that keep our inner child going.

Then, of course, you can show them the giant sets in a Shop At Home catalog or
on the LEGO website.  $300-$500 sets obviously aren't meant for kids.

David