 General / 54898
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 21:04:24 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
The other day I got another "You still play with LEGO?".  I replied with: "No, I
design and build models made from LEGO."  That didn't seem to help much.

I'd like to start a list of ideas and suggestions on how we might improve how
other adults view LEGO as a hobby.  Any ideas?

Something that I think would help is LEGO or LEGO branded items in the work
place.  Nothing cooky or over-done, but something that is detailed enough to
have people ask "Wow, is that really made of LEGO?"  I thought about making nice
looking book ends for my text books or a business card holder.

Of course, I'd also like to see some other things like a leather note pad with a
subtle LEGO logo and other items used or worn in the work place.
Thanks,
Scott
Thoughts?  Any other ways to improve the hobby image of LEGO?

When I'm looking for Lego's at garage sales a lot of the people will say they
aren't selling them because their kids are still playing with them. I answer
that I understand since I'm still playing with them at 48 years of age. They
usually smile and either ask me what I build or leave it at that. I've run into
a few people that seem to think it's childish but I take pride in still being in
touch with my inner child. If you show that you're are okay with playing with
Lego's as an adult most people will respect that. The ones that don't, have
probably never played with Lego and will never understand.