 General / 54903
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:27:29 GMT

Good thread with a lot of responses I relate to. I’ll tag on Dave’s since he scratched the most on what I wanted to add...

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote: (snip)
   Drawing parallels to other hobbies, however, is a bit simpler without visual aids-- there are a lot of modeling hobbies out there, like model railroading, or modelers who make model WWII fighter planes, or model cars or some such. Generally, I find that that’s enough to make people say “Oh yeah! I guess it’s kind of similar to XXX, and that’s not so unusual.”

The comparison to model railroading is one I have long used to describe our hobby. Even as a teenager I would point out it is “normal” to imagine old men setting up HO trains on a table in their garage or basement. That image often clues the outsiders in to some legitimacy here, though few really get it unless you show them models or pictures.

(I currently have pics of last year’s pirate MOCs at my desk at work... though my excited retellings of how the fleet was used for a wargame where there was MUCH BLOOD AND AWESOME SHARK ATTACKS!!!...(ahem)...typically causes my coworkers to slink back to their desks and whisper to themselves, “yeah he still plays with Lego, AND he’s insane.”)

   The other thing you get all the time is that you’ve “got too much time on your hands”.

I’ve missed Jake’s and others’ reference to this, but I wholeheartedly agree I hear this far too often. It doesn’t help that some of my other activities (game design, writing, role-playing, etc.) are also creative hobbies that REQUIRE lots of time on my hands. As it is, I never find the time I’d really like to have. In the end, I just chalk such comments up to people inwardly wishing they had such time or such fun in their lives. This reasoning explains why the same co-workers say I have too much time on my hands when I mention going out to a dance club on a Tuesday or spending a week in Venice just because I could... Them saying it, if you read between the lines, is really them saying they wish they could have as much fun in their lives. If they are inwardly recognizing a weekend with Lego is as much fun as a week in Italy, then I figure they are getting my point after all... :)

-Hendo