 General / 54900
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 00:19:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
The other day I got another "You still play with LEGO?".  I replied with: "No, I
design and build models made from LEGO."  That didn't seem to help much.

I'd like to start a list of ideas and suggestions on how we might improve how
other adults view LEGO as a hobby.

What on Earth for?

I can't say I've ever found how other adults view my hobby to be a problem.

I don't go out of my way to tell people what I do with my spare time. If they do
find out, I just shrug it off with 'everyone needs a hobby' or something.

Whether or not they accept it, it's no skin off my nose. I don't feel the need
to be accepted by everyone I meet. What's the worst thing that could happen due
to someone's non-acceptance?

Something that I think would help is LEGO or LEGO branded items in the work
place.  Nothing cooky or over-done, but something that is detailed enough to
have people ask "Wow, is that really made of LEGO?"  I thought about making nice
looking book ends for my text books or a business card holder.

Of course, I'd also like to see some other things like a leather note pad with a
subtle LEGO logo and other items used or worn in the work place.

If you think it's important to advertise your hobby to all and sundry, knock
yourself out, but look around first and notice how much your co-workers
proselytise about their hobbies.

Thoughts?  Any other ways to improve the hobby image of LEGO?

Stop being such a wanker about it?

Allister