 General / 54880
Re: Improving the adult image of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:50:12 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
The other day I got another "You still play with LEGO?".  I replied with: "No, I
design and build models made from LEGO."  That didn't seem to help much.

I'd like to start a list of ideas and suggestions on how we might improve how
other adults view LEGO as a hobby.  Any ideas?

Something that I think would help is LEGO or LEGO branded items in the work
place.  Nothing cooky or over-done, but something that is detailed enough to
have people ask "Wow, is that really made of LEGO?"  I thought about making nice
looking book ends for my text books or a business card holder.

Of course, I'd also like to see some other things like a leather note pad with a
subtle LEGO logo and other items used or worn in the work place.

Thoughts?  Any other ways to improve the hobby image of LEGO?
I actually have done a lot of thinking on this topic-why, I am not sure why--but
I have. I am a talker as some of yall might know and am always bringing up my
little sideline business of personalizing LEGO for mainly adult LEGO builders.
It really makes a good conversation starter. The standard reply is that they
"must have way too much time on their hands". Then I reply that on a whole,
these men and women are some of the smartest and most creative  subgroup of
people I have ever met. There are very few stupid AFOL's--picky, particular,
individualistic, and  a bit "withdrawn" perhaps, but on the whole one incredibly
creative and intelligent bunch of people.

I think that to improve the "image" perhaps events are the best venue--that is
if you even care about the image. I have been to many and am always interacting
with the public--and events are really the only place where you get the public
at large involved on a one on one basis. Most are very intrigued and amazed at
what is presented. I think BrickJournal is also a very good medium to get across
what yall do. People like Nathan and Sean and Adam Tucker and a few others take
the message out there to the "real" world.

I think some of the "problem"-which is not really a problem, is that LEGO really
is an individual pursuit--generally speaking, when one was a child, you sat down
on the floor and built by yourself. LEGO is really not a team activity. I mean
you only need one architect on the job --design by comittee is not good-lol.
FLL is the exception and the growth of that has been exponential. LEGO people
are pretty much lousy evangelists-and that is pretty much OK. Tim's response is
a very valid reponse to the "problem". "I like what I do and do not care whether
it is 'accepted' or not."

Another drawback is that it is really an expensive hobby/avocation/obcession.

But a lot of adults really do like LEGO. I have made quite a few deskplates for
example for people who would never have thought of buying something LEGO--but
then again they are covered with wood--lol. I see it on the faces and in the
conversations at events that many would secretly like to go home to the LEGO
workshop and build stuff.

Somehow or another it is perfectly acceptable to have a woodworking shop at home
--in fact it is a "manly" avocation. It is perfectly acceptable to go out and
work on your motorcylcle or car.  What we need is some TV character that
retreats to his LEGO shop when the wife or kids start getting on their nerves
(you can change the sex).  Heck, life with a LEGO freak would make for a good
sitcom. Maybe product placement by TLC in a movie or TV show is the ticket--lol.

Thanks,
Scott