 General / 25016

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:41:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, James Powell writes:

If you did this to one of my GoB sets, and I find out about it, I _will_ take
you to small claims court.

Really.  So if I look at the Guild of Bricksmith page, and copy one of your
designs, and place it in my living room, you're going to take me to court?
Good luck not getting laughed at by the judge.  You do realise that you have to
prove some kind of damages to win an award, even in an American court in the
90's and 2000's, right?  I mean, I know it doesn't seem that way lately, but >it
is still true.

I think what James is saying here is that if you copy his design outright
and sell it.  THIS breaks copyright laws, and is comperable to selling
bootlegged CDs.
How exactly is this damaging you?  What makes you think you have a right to an
award?  Do you think that TLC would do the same thing if I built a copy of the
Yellow Castle out of other bricks?  What if I built one of the new Life on Mars
mechs out of parts from one or more of the other Life on Mars sets and played
with that?

You would be fine, again, using this for your own enjoyment, but not to
sell.  I would bet my right arm that TLG would sue, in fact, they are suing
clonebrands in the China/Japan area for copying TLG trademarked items.  It
seems that you were interperating James' stance all wrong.

Do you think you're going to sue LEGO if someone uses this vaporware kit
designer to build something that resembles one of your models?

On my page, you will find (if
you dig enough) a lamppost, which is free.  Why?  Because I don't think I
could
make money selling it.  Therefore, I feel that it is good to let the community
use it for free.

How magnanimous of you.  This member of the community thanks you from the
bottom of his heart.

Fine.  I am not going to cry over you coming up with your own designs.  I wish
you _the absolute best_ in designing for yourself.  But, I am sure you have
taken some ideas from elsewhere, from Lego designs, from the web, from meeting
people and seeing what they have done...but, if you want what I have thought
up, you have to _pay_ for it in one way or another, at least if I feel
reasonable in charging for it.

That's absolutely ludicrous.  I wish *you* the best of luck in getting people
to pay for your designs, but frankly, if you're going to post pictures of your
creations to the web, you can expect that people are going to look at them,
And what you just said is totally ludicrous!  The GOB have made mucho money
on their fine sets.  Look on EBAY, over $200 for a beautiful street-car.  Or
look at Blackened Brick Custom Sets, beautiful sets, SOLD OUT!!!
and
if people are going to look at them, they're going to encorporate them into
their own experience, and if they do *that*, consciously or unconsciously at
some point in the future they are likely to do something that is inspired by
that.  Are you really suggesting that you're going to get letigious over it?

Inspired is fine, but blatent copying FOR A PROFIT is wrong!
Are you high?

This goes back to the same old debate sparked in the lugnet.build,mecha group
when someone threw a tantrum over people borrowing ideas from his design.  If
you're going to share those pictures, you can expect people to learn from them
and even copy them.  Most of us feel flattered when people do that.

FUT lugnet.general, because this no longer involves LEGO Direct, and I can't
think of anywhere else to put it.

eric

I don't mean to seem defensive, I know this isn't my fight, but IMHO James
is in the right with his comments.

-John Rudy

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, James Powell writes:

I don't mean to seem defensive, I know this isn't my fight, but IMHO James
is in the right with his comments.

Only if you include your modification about selling it.

BTW, where does the law stand if I buy a legitimate set of plans for a set.
I then put together 10 copies of the set out of loose bricks I own and sell
them.  I'm I in the wrong?  Is this similar to blue prints for homes?

Steve Martin

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts