 General / 25039
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:13:38 GMT

Scott A wrote:

Are you saying you would not post the pictures as you want to keep your
copying antics secret, or because we’d  not be interested?

I think it would be kept secret because it would bring out a lot of bad blood.
I mean, come on...if you want one of my sets, buy it.  It's not like I am
selling them for a excessive amount, when you start looking at the parts prices
I have paid to collect the parts, I don't think many people could go out and
buy the pieces for the cost of the entire set.

I *do* agree that someone dissecting your instructions, creating them as a
document and selling that document is wrong.  But I think you're taking this
about three steps beyond the point of ridiculousness.

The only problem I have with people copyrighting their own designs is that
we have all most all benefited from LEGO not doing just that - witness
Brickshelf. But I accept that AFOLs may have the right to copyright their
work, and I also accept that they may not have designed the models to start
with without thinking they could copyright the end result.

No.  The Lego instructions _are_ copywrited.  However, TLC has _allowed_ the
use of the instructions in the manor of Brickshelf.  I'm sure if you went and
took a TLC set, and tried selling it (like you could for a profit) with copied
instructions, they would come down on you like a ton of bricks.  This is what I
am mostly saying...that if you take my ideas, I will get upset, and take
apropriate action.  This action will be consistant to the limits of the law,
whatever they are here in Canada.  If those actions are just telling someone
via Email that they shouldn't be copying something for free, and that's it,
fine...but I am _not_ going to say go copy my (for sale) sets for free, because
they are _my_ designs.  If you had spent the time building the set, and
expected some (very meger, let me tell you, when you work out the time
involved) compensation for your work, would you get upset?

James Powell