 General / 25036
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:00:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.general, James Powell writes:

But, if I see something that bears a _striking_ resemblance to the
_entirety of my work_, I am going to rase a stink.

As I said before, good luck with that.  I don't think you really can
"copyright" an arrangement of someone else's patented materials.  Let's keep
that in mind here, folks:  we are *not* talking about music.  Music is a
naturally occuring thing.  LEGO doesn't spontaneously develop when you tune a
guitar correctly.

I say again, if I see something I like, I'll build it.  If that means I see
something I like on the Guild of Bricksmiths site, and realise I have the
pieces to build it myself, I'll do so.  I probably won't post pictures of it to
Lugnet (which is something I only do when I put something together I feel is
particularly cool), but I'll build it and play with it to my heart's content.

Are you saying you would not post the pictures as you want to keep your
copying antics secret, or because we’d  not be interested?

I *do* agree that someone dissecting your instructions, creating them as a
document and selling that document is wrong.  But I think you're taking this
about three steps beyond the point of ridiculousness.

The only problem I have with people copyrighting their own designs is that
we have all most all benefited from LEGO not doing just that - witness
Brickshelf. But I accept that AFOLs may have the right to copyright their
work, and I also accept that they may not have designed the models to start
with without thinking they could copyright the end result.

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing from the other members of the GoB on
their take on all of this.

What an unfortunate acronym.

Scott A

eric