 General / 25052
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:19:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing from the other members of the GoB on
their take on all of this.

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1371

  Eric's and James' statements aside, courts have already spelled out that
certain designs re: construction block toys are open season as far as
duplication or near duplication.  MegaBloks and Block-Men are the current
offenders, of course, and their use of the 2x4 brick, nearly identical to
Lego's design, has been allowed by the courts.  In addition, isn't there a
clone company (can't remember the name) that produces direct and obvious
knock-offs, even down to similar box designs and very similar if not
identical set designs?  Their continued existence suggests that either Lego
has no case, that the case would be too costly to pursue, or that Lego
simply hasn't pursued it yet.  At any rate, how are these different from
claims of copyright infringement in this case?
  For that matter, let's say hypothetically that MegaBloks produces a clone
version of every Lego piece in existence.  If I were to produce a duplicate
of James' model, substituting the Lego bricks with MegaBloks piece-by-piece,
would that still qualify as theft of intellectual property?  The design
would be similar, of course, but the materials and implementation would be
fundamentally different.  I don't know the answer; I'm honestly curious.

For those that want to give a go to copying my work for their own enjoyment,
there's lots of info at the www.miltontrainworks.com website. You can get
fairly close on some of the easier ones, but not as close on the more
recent, more complex ones. You will, at the end, have a copy, not the "Real
Thing", though.

  Ah, the "Setness of a Set" debate!  My favorite!

I'll let my model quality or lack thereof speak for itself.

  Looking at some of your stuff makes me wish I was more into trains (and,
honestly, that I had a little more green to spend).

     Dave!