 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1371
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:16:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lars Brandt writes:
I've been reading this thread with interest.

The PC industry was created when Compaq reverse engineered the BIOS chip on
the IBM PC back in the early 80's.  All other components of the computer
were bought from other sources.  The only chip IBM created was the BIOS
chip.  Compaq couldn't buy this from IBM, so they went about figuring out
how that chip worked and made their own version that performed the exact
same function.

If I can reverse engineer someone else's creation for my own enjoyment, I
have every right to.  There is no damage to anyone.

Now if I sell that design, that's a different story...

Well said, Lars!

That's it exactly! I think this is the stance most in the GoB take. If
you'll recall, there have been people in the past who copied my first
publicly sold model. That's fine by me, and I said so at the time, as they
were doing it for their own use.

But if someone copys one of my models exactly, and sets up in competition
with me, I won't be very happy and while I think talk of lawsuits is a bit
extreme, I do think I'd try to marshall public opinion against them.

Some people find it fun to have models that they themselves don't want to
develop, or are not capable of independently developing, and we try to
enhance the experience for them by producing the absolute best quality
instructions we can, working on neat presentation, including a certificate, etc.

Even if one COULD do something as good... that's not an argument that one
should... I bought Dan's pirate tavern because he's spent a lot of time on
its design, and designed a better tavern than I am interested in spending
the time to do myself. Dan's buying my doodlebug for the same reasons. Plus,
they're a bit collectable, we think.

Hopefully that will help tamp down this issue for folks. It's a big tent and
there is nothing wrong with either wanting to buy GoB work or not wanting
to. To each his own.

++Lar