 General / 25050
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:48:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Um, I'm not sure I disagree with James about anything. I'm mildly upset and
disappointed when someone chooses to copy my work, but I'm also kind of
flattered. Neither of those emotions translate into my actually *doing*
anything about it, as I've said before. Nor does it for James, as he's said
before.

That's not how I read
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1349
and James' later posts.

I think James is saying he will take you to court if you look at
a picture of his creation and try to build it out of your own bricks,
even if you don't then sell it.  Later he backpedals slightly and
says he would try to resolve it out of court first.

Still, trying to forbid attempts by others to create a single copy
from a published picture for their own use is, IMHO, unusual and
unenforceable.  Furthermore, I really doubt that that position
has any legal basis, but I would be interested to hear ideas about
this from someone who knows more about copyright law, both in
Canada and the USA and internationally.

/Eric McC/