 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1349
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Sandlin writes:
It's all very interesting and exciting, but I'm not very interested in
losing rights to my designs. We shall see.

Rights? I don't disagree with your fundamental assertions here, Mark -- but
what exactly do you think happens when you post several detailed images of
your stuff to the internet?  Sure, maybe some people write to you and want
either the original or a boxed with instructions copy -- but most of us look
the thing over for useful ideas -- or maybe even just knock it off outright!

If you did this to one of my GoB sets, and I find out about it, I _will_ take
you to small claims court.  _I_ own the design, period.  If you come up with
something similar, fine.  But, if you take from my design, and it is not enough
different to prove that you came up with a signifigant difference, I will use
the recorses that are available to me.

That's the way it is.  Most of the people who have sets up for sale within the
GoB have fairly clearly differenciated areas.  On my page, you will find (if
you dig enough) a lamppost, which is free.  Why?  Because I don't think I could
make money selling it.  Therefore, I feel that it is good to let the community
use it for free.  My hoppers, I think I can make money off, so I have the
rights to them.  Those rights are available, for a price.

This is what I never understood about the GOB thing, not at all...

Why would I pay someone a premium for what I can build on my own?  In fact,
why do I want to build that which someone else has already built?  I suppose
if one lacks one's own creativity, this may be the route to choose -- but
otherwise, I don't get it. And I actually think that everyone is creative to
some degree, it's just that some of  us exercise those creative "muscles"
more so than do others.

Fine.  I am not going to cry over you coming up with your own designs.  I wish
you _the absolute best_ in designing for yourself.  But, I am sure you have
taken some ideas from elsewhere, from Lego designs, from the web, from meeting
people and seeing what they have done...but, if you want what I have thought
up, you have to _pay_ for it in one way or another, at least if I feel
reasonable in charging for it.

To what degree can one own the rights to a thing built entirely from the
patented and copyrighted elements of a particular toy company?  When does a
particular assemblage of elements take on a meaning owned more by its
designer, and in opposition to the rights of the company that created the
elements of that same assemblage?

At what point do the sounds from a musical instriment become the property of a
artist using the instrument, rather than the manufacturer?  as soon as the
artist lays down the sounds :)  Same rules here.

James Powell, Bricksmith
(Fletcher Jenning)