 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1331
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:45:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Sandlin writes:
It's all very interesting and exciting, but I'm not very interested in
losing rights to my designs. We shall see.

Rights? I don't disagree with your fundamental assertions here, Mark -- but
what exactly do you think happens when you post several detailed images of
your stuff to the internet?  Sure, maybe some people write to you and want
either the original or a boxed with instructions copy -- but most of us look
the thing over for useful ideas -- or maybe even just knock it off outright!

This is what I never understood about the GOB thing, not at all...

Why would I pay someone a premium for what I can build on my own?  In fact,
why do I want to build that which someone else has already built?  I suppose
if one lacks one's own creativity, this may be the route to choose -- but
otherwise, I don't get it. And I actually think that everyone is creative to
some degree, it's just that some of  us exercise those creative "muscles"
more so than do others.

I have said it before and I shall say it again (at least for myself) -- If I
can get the elements from TLC, I don't care if they ever design or a sell a
pre-packaged set again.  When I thought that their agenda was preclusive of
selling me just the much prized elements -- let's say a pitchfork, for
example -- I wanted them to re-release older set designs that included these
elements.  If this new plan of theirs includes such older elements -- then I
just don't care if they sell ANY sets at all.  And I certainly don't care if
they sell these juniorized piles of junk they have been selling of late!

To be honest, I think they may be able to make more money this way -- often
I have looked at a set in a store aisle and just thought, "Gee, this is okay
and all -- but it just doesn't have enough of the elements I want."  No sale
-- not at BOGO 50%, not at BOGO, not at any price!  When TLC moves from a
position of not selling a thing at all, to one where they are at least
selling the elements someone actually wanted, I have to assume there is
money to be made.

When possession of some key element meant either the purchase of the whole
set or paying a huge price for the desired individual elements in a parts
sale or auction -- I bet many people (wisely) simply obstained from the
purchase of these elements.  And I bet cost was a factor for more than a
few, and who can blame them?  Heck, it's a factor for me and I am willing
and able to spend more than most (being single, childless, and living on the
cheap).

But anyway, back to the main point: I think it can be fairly asserted that
most of us want the elements directly from TLC so we can build and design
for ourselves -- isn't that the point of the parts buckets? I see an
interest in packaged sets going way down for most if not all adult buyers,
and maybe even some children.  But the whole thing does raise an interesting
topic:

To what degree can one own the rights to a thing built entirely from the
patented and copyrighted elements of a particular toy company?  When does a
particular assemblage of elements take on a meaning owned more by its
designer, and in opposition to the rights of the company that created the
elements of that same assemblage?

-- Richard (it's early and I'm rambling...)