 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1316
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:34:47 GMT

My concern is this:

If I design a set and post it, and it's extremely popular, what do I gain
from it? Will LEGO give me a royalty on it? Will they instead reward me with
bricks? Publicity? A job?

If I submit my own design and stand to lose my rights to it, that prompts me
to order the parts and then sell my sets on my own. I stand to profit from
that at a much greater scale. Plus, I get to keep the rights to my own
designs.

I receive several instruction requests a week. I also receive offers to buy
my models. I would love to be able to do this, but as it stands, I often use
parts that are old and unavailable. With the advent of being able to buy
exactly what I would need, I could start making "Mark Sandlin Sets."

It's all very interesting and exciting, but I'm not very interested in
losing rights to my designs. We shall see.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego

From: "Steve Martin" <martinsa@mail.com>

Anyways, what will
happen to everyone having unique models?  If Mark Sandlin builds a cool
little shuttle, and I like it, all I need do is order it from Lego, and
suddenly Mark's Lego design is mine.  Will anything ever be the same?  All
of a sudden those dreams about alternative Ice Planet models on store
shelves will come true...  Only time will tell what will happen to Lego...
If Mark lets TLC have his model design that is his right (after all, that is
what designers do!)  Does the community at-large really care if it is a
saleried TLC designer that does the work or if it is an AFOL?  Why should
we?  Right now, no one can force me to build the box design.  There are
people who never build the design that the set comes with and others that
build nothing but the stock designs (some people even <shudder> glue their
stock sets together).   And when it comes down to it, that ability to choose
what you want to do is the beauty of Lego and I wouldn't want it any other
way.