 General / 25048
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:12:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:

But let's say I don't want your set.  I don't want to buy the pieces you've
collected.  I want to use the pieces I already have to build my own copy.

You're saying you'd be upset about that?

Do you realise that according to Larry, at least two other members of
the Guild of Bricksmiths disagree with you on that point?

Um, I'm not sure I disagree with James about anything. I'm mildly upset and
disappointed when someone chooses to copy my work, but I'm also kind of
flattered. Neither of those emotions translate into my actually *doing*
anything about it, as I've said before. Nor does it for James, as he's said
before.

James is being painted as taking a 'hard line' stance but I don't see it
that way at all. He and I are saying the same thing. If someone starts
knocking off his designs or mine, and making GoBs of money at it, we are
going to take whatever action is available and appropriate. But come on, we
do this mostly for fun, and partly to fund our hobby, just as part sellers
do. We aren't any of us making any huge sums of money and we are not in any
way shape or form a "threat" to TLC's market position and none of us is
delusional enough to think we are. There is no big threat of someone making
gobs of money at this.

Depending on how exactly TLC structures this "custom" model thing of theirs,
that can change. You can be sure that if it's structured properly I will be
submitting designs to it at a rapid clip (.005 royalty per brick maybe??).

On the other hand, have we increased the quality of models out there? I'd
like to think maybe a little. When I scan the lego-net I can find half a
dozen copies, imitations, knockoffs and designs inspired by my hopper (which
after all is one of the first kits released ever...) and most of those pages
acknowledge the inspiration. That's payment enough for me.

Have we opened people's eyes (even TLC's??) to what is possible with small
production run high end craftsman kits? Again, I'd like to think maybe a
little as well.

And we're not the only kit builders out there. Mechanised Brick, for
example, is not GoB affiliated. And that's fine. Let a hundred flowers bloom.

Frankly, if one reads the entire sub thread (in all its sprawling majesty,
across all three groups it's appeared in) I think most all of us (the
reasonable ones, anyway) are all actually saying the same thing, so I'm not
sure why we are in apparent disagreement!

++Lar