 General / 25142
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 09:27:16 GMT

If somebody can sell an exact copy of a official lego sets, using the
bricks from other sets, as "without box and instructions", I think
anybody also can reproduce and sell all of the models around the net,
including GOB sets as "without certificate". I don't think the original
model builder could have a legal support for his/her case. Also I can
still can't imagine how someone can sue others if they are currently
living in different parts of the world, having different law codes with
different interpretations of IP. I really can't imagine any code of law
outside of US which stretch the IP thing to the extreme like US ones.

Of course one can get public support (from other AFOLS) for his case and
make this supposedly "thief" of his/her original design labeled.

Selçuk

James Powell wrote:

But if I sit down to build something in my living room, Persons A-C can go
#$@! themselves.  None of them get a say in what I build, or how I came upon
the idea of building it.

eric

As long as you are not looking at a photo of my (for sale) work when you sit
down to build it, I don't care.  Go ahead and copy the ideas from my
skyscraper, or my (very old) sketches of the RPO (you'd have to _dig_ to find a
copy, but it is released).  I _don't care_ if you copy them.  Copy _ideas_ from
my 'sets', if you want to.  If you think my door arangement is neat, fine, copy
it.  But, if I see something that bears a _striking_ resemblance to the
_entirety of my work_, I am going to rase a stink.

If you think I don't _know_ that my work owes bits to others, then fine...I
know that there are other trainheads who I have pinched ideas from.  However,
in the same vein, I know others have pinched ideas from me, and I am _not_
worried about someone taking ideas from my models.  I just want my IP to be
respected _with regards to something I sell_.  Is there something wrong with
wanting the letter of the law to be obeyed?

James Powell, Bricksmith
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=JamesP