 Off-Topic / Debate / 7972
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:23:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:
As I said before, good luck with that.  I don't think you really can
"copyright" an arrangement of someone else's patented materials.

A HUGE point.  It kind of reminds me of Duchamp's "ready-mades", or whatever
-- the placement of a urinal in a museum as if he had sculpted it himself.
Legos can be seen as a kind of medium, but it's a very dictatorial one at
that...

OK, so _everything_ has no copywrite?  Is this what you are trying to tell me?
That, because I only took something physical, and put it into a new
arrangement, like these Electrons in the computer, that I don't hold any rights
to exploit my work?  Tell that to Microsoft, or to a iron foundry, or to a
farmer...or anyone else.  I cannot patent the idea (at least not in the sense
of a patent on the bricks...not sure how it is differenciated worldwide), but I
can (and have) copywrite on the images, and the ideas/arrangements contained
within the images.

In my own view, I PLAY with lego -- I do not consider it art with a capital
"A".  It is creative, and I do respect people's various creations -- BUT do
let us keep perspective on what is going on here.  PLAY -- not art, and
certainly not your own personal commercial enterprise.

And why not?  Define a Personal Commerical Enterprise?  Is it not offering
something for sale?  Regardless of who designed it?

James
(note, this is redirected into .debate, and no longer strictly about GoB, in
fact, I would like to disassociate this from GoB, because this is more a
.debate topic than a real topic at this point...)