 General / 25032
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:22:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Johnston writes:
to quote Mr. Clemens, "the Law is an Ass."

Baby, it always was...

A lot of bad law is coming down in terms of intellectual property primarily
because the main participants can afford to assert their views.  And as far
as the computer industry is concerned -- the whole thing is built on
"swipes", or "reverse engineering" if you will.

It happens that I like fonts.  Something I once wrote can be found here:
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/legal.html  (scroll down until you see the name
"Richard", there is a short intro) or go here directly:
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/blueofnoon.html

I find that there are striking similarities between what is being discussed
here and what I opined about elsewhere. And a lot of it could easily apply
to anything: sheet music, cds, books, etc.

The main point would be: if you give me a picture of a thing, and I --
through my own devices -- copy the thing, I have created an intellectual
property legally on par with the original.  Now amongst friends, that's not
necessarily cool -- but when it comes to commerce, I have noted that
friendship goes by the boards.

-- Richard