 General / 25018
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:54:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Rudy writes:

I think what James is saying here is that if you copy his design outright
and sell it.  THIS breaks copyright laws, and is comperable to selling
bootlegged CDs.

If that were what he was saying, I wouldn't care- in fact, I would agree with
him.

But it's not, and his response to me bears that out.

That's absolutely ludicrous.  I wish *you* the best of luck in getting people
to pay for your designs, but frankly, if you're going to post pictures of
your
creations to the web, you can expect that people are going to look at them,

And what you just said is totally ludicrous!  The GOB have made mucho money
on their fine sets.  Look on EBAY, over $200 for a beautiful street-car.  Or
look at Blackened Brick Custom Sets, beautiful sets, SOLD OUT!!!

That's great for them.  I really don't have a problem with these guys selling
the sets, especially because they often have hard-to-find parts in them, or
what have you.  If Person A sells Person B something, that's fine, I don't
care.

If Person C sells something to Person B, and a large part of that is the fact
that it's based around a design that Person A came up with, I have a problem
with it regardless of whether or not Person A was trying to make a profit on
it.

But if I sit down to build something in my living room, Persons A-C can go #$@!
themselves.  None of them get a say in what I build, or how I came upon the
idea of building it.

eric