 General / 23001
  S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Howdy! What an incredible surprise! I recieved a large packet from LEGO Shop at Home [Germany] this morning, inlcuding the new Minifigure 3723 and the Spy Runner 3439! I backordered these a while ago, but didn't expect them to arrive that soon. Am I (...) (24 years ago, 14-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct) !

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I haven't build anything yet, but uploaded some images to: (URL) Christian --- xTI@N. LUGNet Member #479 ---...--- The World is full of AFOLs - gech1@t-online.de (...) (24 years ago, 14-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I am curious about the piece makeup in the mini-figure. It seems very expensive given that it appears to be made up almost entirely of basic bricks. From the picture in the S&H catalog, it seems like you could by about 5 $20 "blue tubs" and build (...) (24 years ago, 14-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Hi all, Brad is correct that the set is 99% basic bricks (depending on what you consider basic). However, there are plenty of these 2x6's and 2x8's as well as 2x10's. Most of these large bricks are blue or red, on the other hand there are many (...) (24 years ago, 15-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Just curious - is the fig hollow? and were there any extra pieces? :) (24 years ago, 15-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Hi Dan, Yes, the fig is hollow, besides a few horizontal long pieces that make the statue stronger. But most of the inside is all air. However, they use 2xX's bricks and not 1xX's bricks (although they could in most places. After having build the (...) (24 years ago, 15-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) That reminds me -- anyone who hasn't seen photos of Eric Harshbarger's minifig LEGO knight that he built for/at MindFest[tm] last year should check this out: (URL) saw this in person during its development and -- dang! -- if TLC would release (...) (24 years ago, 15-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Thanks for the compliments, Todd. I'd like to emphasize the point that my Knight Mega-Fig was 16x scale, whereas I believe the LEGO Mega-Fig is 12x scale. (24 years ago, 15-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Christian, thanks for all the great info on <set:3723>. Now what about the Spy Runner?! Is there a new minifig from the Action/Alpha-Team? Any promo material about the new theme? regards, DaveL (24 years ago, 16-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Hi Dave, the minifigs and other pieces from the Spy Runner can all be found in older town/city sets as well. Nothing new among, besides the trasnparent-dark-blue canopy. Sorry, no further information about a new theme or new sets in there either. (...) (24 years ago, 17-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

What color is the Statue of Liberty? (24 years ago, 18-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) It's a new color, a light green that is supposed to look like weathered copper. Personally, I plan to get at least one copy to see if there are parts enough to make a copper roof. eric (24 years ago, 18-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) The name for a weathered copper color is "VERDIGRIS" (verd-dig-gris). But that might be a mouthful. We should come up with a universal Lego name for this color. Say....... Antique Green, or??? Gary Istok (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Dan's sugguested "Copper Green", I agree that verdigris is too much, i'll never remember it :) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Verdigris is a lot to try and remember, but Copper Green is counter intuitive (IMHO) because copper isn't usually green... Actually, what I really want is proof that this "new" green is, in fact, completely new, and not a light green that's (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) How about Sea Green? Dave! (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Or Grey-Green? That's the literal translation of "verdigris", after all (though the etymology is actually supposedly a corruption of the words for "green brass"). Doug (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  RE: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I don't speak Fench, but verdigris sounds like gray-green to me. (Well, green-gray, actually). IMO, gray-green is fairly descriptive and easy to remember. --Bram Bram Lambrecht BXL34@po.cwru.edu (URL) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

It's new, trust me. If you've seen it in person, you KNOW it's new. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I speak French, I am pretty sure the word isn't originally French. My guess would be Italian. Also I believe the spelling is: verdegris. I may be wrong. Kev Z 142 (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

seems french to me, and spelled correctly too: (URL) turns up this: No entry found for "verdegris" in the dictionary. :) (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Hi, Oops, my mistake. Excuse me a moment. <Removes foot from mouth> That's better. I guess I don't speak french as well as I think ;-) (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I like Gary's suggestion. "Antique" suggests the weathered copper, and eliminates the confusion by having the color "copper" in the description (ie "copper green") of a basically green element. "Sea green" is okay, too, but I think "antique green" (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I checked my french-english dictionary (it's only a pocket one, so it's not very complete) and neither word was in the french side... (my guess is that this is only *derived* from french) the translation from english Verdigris to french is (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Once people use it, you will. I vote for verdigris as well. Failing that I would prefer gray-green rather than antique or copper green. (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) eliminates (...) green") of (...) green" is (...) that (...) color. (...) I've suggested "Liberty Green" before. It's both very easy to remember, and descriptive as well because it associates the colour with the set it first appeared in. (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Spelled correctly, as you point out, dictionary.com reveals this: [Middle English vertegrez, from Old French verte grez, alteration of vert-de- Grice: verd, green; see verdure + de, of (from Latin d); see de- + Grice, Greece.] "Verde" in (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I believe you! The sad part is, judging from how they devolved the design of the minifig scuplture, the Statue of Liberty set will probably be a rectangular stack of 2x2 bricks. Dave! (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I vote for 'verdigris' as well. If there is already a word or phrase for something, why make up another word or phrase. eric (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) The "green brass" etymology I mentioned before can be found at (URL) n. [F. vert-de-gris, apparently from verd, vert, green + de of + gris gray, but really a corruption of LL. viride aeris (equivalent to L. aerugo), from L. viridis green + (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I have to say I feel the same way. (the other) eric (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) copper. (...) enough to (...) that (...) color. (...) I think of lava soap when I see it. Therefore, I'll always think of it as Lava Soap Green. best LFB (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Technically, I think verdigris would be the best. However, if someone who didn't know the etymology of the term read a description stating that a 1x2 brick was "verdigris", they would have no clue as to what color the brick was unless they had (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) "Liberty Green" seems kinda US-centric to me. If this is the only set this color is used in, it won't matter, but if verdigris starts popping up in other themes, it would matter. Steve (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Steve Bliss wrote: <snip> (...) Yeah, so what's your point? <g,d,r> -John (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I'm Canadian, and I still think it's a good name. The statue that the model is made of is known around the world, (and wasn't it in fact built in France anyway?) It represents freedom, which we will have at least a little more of with the new (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

As copper weathers, it gains a patina. This is what gives the copper the green color. I would suggest 'patina green' as the name we use for the color. Build On! John Matthews Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

In lugnet.general, John Matthews writes: Since we haven't given any other color a fancy name (light blue and dark grey, and not charcoal or azure, etc) I think that we should stick to something simple like "Dull Green." greg (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I was thinking along those lines too, but I think 'Liberty Green', due to the uniqueness of the Statue and the uniqueness (up to this point) of the set. We may never see these colour bricks elsewhere, though I hope we do. pete.w (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I think keeping it simple like the rest of the color names is good. Here's a few more - faded green or weathered green. I wonder what TLC is calling it? I mean besides NEW :-) Julie (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Well, since we are in picky word mode here, I thought I might point out the subtle, but important differences between liberty and freedom. Both quotes are taken from dictionary.com's definitions of liberty and freedom. (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I am against ANY name that ties a concept to a particular theme, or particular thing. This applies to color names and it applies to parts. I think it's regrettable that some of the LDraw part names for parts used in a number of themes have (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I think "copper green" is an interesting one -- but it would never work. :-) --Todd (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I agree that we should keep it simple. My favorite choices are: 1) Antique Green 2) Weathered Green 3) Dull Green Gary Istok (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

[trimmed lugnet.lego.direct from ng list] (...) Hmm. So far, 'we' haven't really tried to deliberatly name anything.[1] So prior efforts may not be a good guide for future endevours. I feel like the common color names are getting over-used. How many (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes: After awhile, there's only so many ways you can say (...) Hey, good point. Verdigris is my second choice. That reminds me.... Anyone see The Daily Show a few days ago?.. "Bob's answers appear in magenta on the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) By not being a part of it. The main reason that I think that verdigris is a bad choice is that newcomers will have no idea what color that refers to. Before this discussion, if someone had refered to a "verdigris brick", I wouldn't know if (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) "Copper Green" is also a brand of Copper Naphthalate (I think) in solution that is used to paint on wood to inhibit termites and rot. It smells horrible. I vote for "verdigris". If there is already a word that has the correct definition, we (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) I called Consumer Affairs and asked them what the name of the color is. They said they have no official name yet, they are just calling it "new green." I asked if it is scheduled to be in any other 2001 sets and he said he hadn't heard of any (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) I don't think you are giving newcomers enough credit. Before Lugnet I had no clue what bardings or (as Eric McC. mentions) sprues were (I knew what a kepi was, but then, I have a fairly decent vocabulary), but it didn't take much time or (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I didn't write what Greg quoted me as writing. I said, and as any good Architect[1] knows, the color is well known as 'patina green'. Build On! John Matthews [1] When I say Architect, I mean the kind of architect that designs buildings. Greg (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Well, to be honest, I was confused and had to go look it up in another message. Your points are well taken though, except I still think that Gray-green is better because it is clearer. :) Ben Roller (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I concur with John's description. As an architect myself, I would call it 'patina green' (depending of course on the real LEGO brick appearance). The Staute of liberty (according to architects and metalsmiths) is a pantina copper color (111 years (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Ah... sorry. I was replying to all of the messages in general and yours happened to be the one I replied to. I guess I forgot to delete the first line.. (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Does anyone think that this model of the statue coming out in the green color rather strange given that after it's restoration, the Statue of Liberty is now the color of new untarnished copper? I know it's rather strange, but if the original (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

Well according to the latest catalog, Lego is calling them new GREEN BRICKS. Rose Gary Istok wrote in message <39F057F0.406C3BAC@u...ch.edu>... (...) grey, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I am certain that the original designer of the Statue of Liberty understood that as copper ages it gains a patina. The patina actually helps to preserve the metal, and the color is quite remarkable. These are properties of copper that make it a (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I know I am looking forward to the Liberty set more than any other expensive set I want. After the main model, it will be to work out some other copper or bronze monuments. And the roofs... Also "swimming pool color" places. (...) Modern times are (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

John Matthews <jmatthew@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:G2rGM7.JD7@lugnet.com... (...) understood (...) properties (...) How do you come to this conclusion? I'm not sure of the background of the designer, but I'm fairly certain that when (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Why not? Copper was used architecturally much earlier than that late 19th century. I'm sure *someone* noticed that the stuff turned green over time. :) As far as who sculpted it, it was Frederic Bartholdi (a French sculptor) who supposedly (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Time for me to weigh-in on this one. I remember seeing a show about the building of the Statue Of Liberty and they did know about the copper turning green and they specifically designed it using copper so it would turn green. They mainly chose (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Verdigris here too. It's actually a common term at the moment because it's very "in" in home decorating and has been for several years. We just need to put it in the FAQ as another term which people may not know - after all, there are plenty (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Thanks for retrieving those details from the mint! If you want to see bronze in green, blue, black, brown, even blue, red and other wacky colors, take a look at some ancient coins. Surf ebay -- they have a burgeoning ancient coin section that (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

Erik Olson <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:G2st8L.HGF@lugnet.com... (...) metals, (...) primary (...) done by (...) Oh well, I guess unless some pigeons want to contribute a lot of it, the statue won't be getting that kind of tint again. (...) (24 years ago, 22-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) As a man who is producing parts from copper tube, copper green is not a bad name at all. Corroded copper is green..:-) Selçuk (24 years ago, 23-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Gray/grey/-green or copper-green is my choice but, what is sprue by the way?..:-) Actually I know it but I can't figure out anything related with both it and Lego. Selçuk (24 years ago, 23-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

I don't know if you have a similar belief but here, it's believed that if you wish something while you are in-between two people with the same name, you will have your wish..:-) Hehe... Thanks to the both Eric's..:-) Selçuk (...) (24 years ago, 23-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) Sprue is the bit of plastic to which minifig tools are attached. I didn't know about the other meaning until just now -- I checked the dictionary. Steve (24 years ago, 23-Oct-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Looking at the 2001 catalog pics posted here: (URL) it looks like this "Antique Green" is being used in <set:7311> on the back side of the "wings." So this color is not going to be exclusive to the Statue of Liberty set, even for 2001. BEN (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) The new green is used in several places on 7311 and in the little walker in the 7317 alien base. I like the name "verdigris" green I've seen mentioned in the Statue of Liberty posts. John AFOL and his money are soon parted. (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) verdigris, according to www.webster.com, can be greenish or bluish, and is only secondarily associated with copper. patina, again according to Webster, is exactly the name of greenish, weather-aged copper. (23 years ago, 5-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

Webster is out of date - patina simply means a weathered and/or age-darkened finish to antiquers, and can apply to copper, bronze, nickel, wood, etc, etc, etc. Weathered GREEN would make the most sense, as people would instantly know it is a shade (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) OED2 says: 1. A green or greenish blue substance obtained artificially by the action of dilute acetic acid on thin plates of copper (or a green rust naturally forming on copper and brass), and much used as a pigment, in dyeing, the arts, and (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

Tom Stangl, VFAQman <talonts@vfaq.com> wrote in message news:3A05C764.F18F44...faq.com... (...) age-darkened finish (...) etc. (...) it is a (...) "Verdigris" is pretty obvious in meaning, I think. You'd have to be (almost) illiterate not to make (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) This will become a FAQ anyway: what's verdigris? or, what do you call that pale doctor's office green color? will pop up regularly. I don't consider myself illiterate, but when we started the naming discussion, I immediately thought of (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

Picture a discussion that someone comes into. The color GREEN is never mentioned, just verdigris. So the person looks it up. Tell me how they are going to know whether the color being discussed is a muted greyish green, or a greenish-something, or a (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

My dictionary says "[ME vertegrez, fr. OF vert de Grice, lit., green of Greece] (14c)" I assume for the bronze artworks. It predates Lego. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) The man has a point, which is valid for grey as well. Maybe we should just call it grey-green or greenish grey? ++Lar (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) This is a joke, right?..:-) Selçuk (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Well, verdi=green, but gris actually = Greece. (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) If they don't get an accurate picture from the dictionary, that's the dictionary's fault. Verdigris isn't actually a hugely variable shade -- it's just that colors are hard to describe/define in words. Luckily, the definitions in the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) *shrug* I don't see any grey in it at all. Plus, verdi means green -- verdigris literally comes from the phrase "green of Greece". (And both dictionaries I looked in said so.) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) As an aside, Sunday morning on NPR's Weekend Edition a story mentioned 'verdigris' and 'patina' (and i thing 'aged copper') in the same sentance. Isn't it odd how once you hear or see a word it shows up 'everywhere'? Or maybe I'm just paying (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) In the circles I frequent, 'patina' is always qualified with a color name, like red patina, green patina, brown patina. Not that Lego is going to come out with all those nice colors. -Erik (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) But this Grece story is debatable, despite being reported in common dictionaries. (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Right -- patina is the filmy layer, whereas verdigris is its color. (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Like the OED. verdigris v@+-Rdigris. Forms: &ia.; 4 century verdegrez, 4-6 century -gres(e, 5 century -greys, 7 century -gresse, -griese, 7-8 century -grease; 5-6 century verdegrece, 6-7 century -greace, 7-8 century -greece; 6-9 century (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

How do you pronounce "verdigris?" (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) VerdehGREESE. Or verdehGRISSS. Or verdehgriss. Or even verdehGREE. It's flexible. :) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) I looked up the definitions. To paraphrase, "the color of patina is verdigris". Patina is a surface film. Verdigris is a color. Both are primarily associated with rusted copper, but Patina has broader usage, not related to color or metal. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

If you want to say it properly, you should not pronounce the "s" :^) ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) [snip] (...) #1 is also related to the color. (Ok, I've said enough on this. I'll shut up now. *grin*) (...) Calling it grey-green seems like calling pink grey-red. :) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) You have quoted the OED several times in this thread. Do you have a copy, work at a library with a copy, or (hopefully) have access to it online and can share the address? FU to off-topic.geek (though not techno geek, etymological geek) BEN (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001)

  (canceled)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Access online. It's restricted to Boston University though, so unfortunately sharing the link won't help you much. :( (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Yes, when I graduated from The College of Charleston <www.cofc.edu>, SC in 1994 all I had access to was the 20+ volume set of the OED that we had in the library. There was talk about the OED being available online or that it was being (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Hmmm, I guess I'll stick with "NEW GREEN" Markus (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

Try www.oed.com but i'll warn you, it's pretty salty from what I recall. Markus (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

(...) And ten years from now, you'll be talking about the "newer green", and the "newest green", right? Steve (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450

(...) Hey cool -- BU's subscription works there, and it's a much nicer interface than our primative gateway. :) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)

Yup! And after that it will be "Really New Green" and then "Really Really New Green" and then "Bride of New Green" and "Son of New Green" and then "Abbot and Costello meet New Green" and we all know that after you meet Abbot and Costello, it's all (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)