 General / 23178
Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Schilling writes:

"Liberty Green" seems kinda US-centric to me.

... It represents freedom, ...

Well, since we are in picky word mode here, I thought I might point out the
subtle, but important differences between liberty and freedom.  Both quotes
are taken from dictionary.com's definitions of liberty and freedom.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Usage: Liberty, Freedom. These words, though often interchanged, are distinct
in some of their applications. Liberty has reference to previous restraint;
freedom, to the simple, unrepressed exercise of our powers. A slave is set at
liberty; his master had always been in a state of freedom. A prisoner under
trial may ask liberty (exemption from restraint) to speak his sentiments with
freedom (the spontaneous and bold utterance of his feelings). The liberty of
the press is our great security for freedom of thought.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Synonyms: freedom, liberty, license.
These nouns refer to the power to act, speak, or think without externally
imposed restraints. Freedom is the most general term: “In giving freedom to
the slave, we assure freedom to the free” (Abraham Lincoln). “The freedom of
the press is one of the great bulwarks of liberty” (George Mason). Liberty is
often used interchangeably with freedom; often, however, it especially
stresses the power of free choice: liberty of opinion; liberty of worship; at
liberty to choose whatever occupation she wishes; “liberty, perfect liberty,
to think, feel, do just as one pleases” (William Hazlitt). License sometimes
denotes deliberate deviation from normally applicable rules or practices to
achieve a desired effect, as in literature or art: poetic license. Frequently,
though, it denotes undue freedom: “the intolerable license with which the
newspapers break . . . the rules of decorum” (Edmund Burke).