 General / 24000
Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:39:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
Picture a discussion that someone comes into.  The color GREEN is never
mentioned, just verdigris.  So the person looks it up.

Tell me how they are going to know whether the color being discussed is a muted
greyish green, or a greenish-something, or a bluish-something, given the
definitions.

The color we are discussing has no blue in it whatsoever that I could tell
seeing it in person, but if you just used the definitions, it COULD.

I like the word verdigris too, but if the name is not obvious without asking
for a clarification of a definition in the dictionary, it's the WRONG word to
use.

Weathered green, aged green, "SOMETHING green" makes the best sense overall.

The man has a point, which is valid for grey as well. Maybe we should just
call it grey-green or greenish grey?

++Lar

Paul Davidson wrote:

Tom Stangl, VFAQman <talonts@vfaq.com> wrote in message
Webster is out of date - patina simply means a weathered and/or • age-darkened finish
to antiquers, and can apply to copper, bronze, nickel, wood, etc, etc, • etc.

Weathered GREEN would make the most sense, as people would instantly know • it is a
shade of GREEN.

"Verdigris" is pretty obvious in meaning, I think.  You'd have to be
(almost) illiterate not to make the verdi=green or gris=grey connections.

--

Paul Davidson

--
Tom Stangl