 General / 23216
Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:55:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher Lindsey writes:
How do you come to this conclusion?  I'm not sure of the background of the
designer, but I'm fairly certain that when they built the statue, they would
have had it built shining in all of it's copper glory, and would have
thought of it that way.  I'm also sure that not many - if any - people
actually know who designed the Statue of Liberty - I'm even more certain
that they did not have much knowledge of how copper ages, nor of how it
gains a patina.

nose in verdigris?  I think not...  :)

Chris

Time for me to weigh-in on this one.  I remember seeing a show about the
building of the Statue Of Liberty and they did know about the copper turning
green and they specifically designed it using copper so it would turn green.
They mainly chose copper because it was maleable and relatively light weight vs
bronze or iron.  It could be formed in sections out of thin sheets instead of
poured at a foundry.

I have to vote for "verdigris".  It refers to the green patina that aged copper
and brass take on.  Almost any painter/sculptor knows what verdigris is.  Time
for the Legomaniacs to learn a sculpting term (especially since it is in
reference to a world famous copper statue).