 General / 23215
Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:54:00 GMT

How do you come to this conclusion?  I'm not sure of the background of the
designer, but I'm fairly certain that when they built the statue, they would
have had it built shining in all of it's copper glory, and would have
thought of it that way.  I'm also sure that not many - if any - people
actually know who designed the Statue of Liberty - I'm even more certain
that they did not have much knowledge of how copper ages, nor of how it
gains a patina.

Why not?  Copper was used architecturally much earlier than that late 19th
century.  I'm sure *someone* noticed that the stuff turned green over time.
:)

As far as who sculpted it, it was Frederic Bartholdi (a French sculptor)
who supposedly modeled the face of the statue after his mother.  The iron
internal framework was done by Gustave Eiffel (of Eiffel Tower fame).

For the modern pennies, I would say they are a specially designed copper
alloy, made in a blend of metals to prevent dulling and corrosion. I don't
know how the earlier versions would have been made, but the modern era
pennies from the US would certainly have had a whole slew of metallurgy
knowledge built into them.  ;-)

They're actually made out of copper-plated zinc, although older coins
were made out of a blend of primarily copper with a dash of zinc thrown
in.

Now I'm curious about the numbers, though...  :)  <<<searching the Web>>>

Aha! The U.S. Mint has a FAQ about it at

   http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins/index.cfm

The useful part:

   "What are current circulating coins made from?

   Quarters and dimes are composed of cupro-nickel clad, with a pure copper core,
   and an outer layer of a 75 percent copper, 25 percent nickel alloy.

   Nickels are made from the same 75-25 alloy, and the cent, once a copper coin,
   is now composed of copper plated zinc. These cents are less expensive for the
   Mint to manufacture, and at 2.5 grams each, weigh about 20% less than the cent
   previously minted of 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc, which weighed
   3.11 grams."

I think another thing that helps contribute to shiny, non-tarnished
coins in circulation is handling of coins.  Have you ever seen Lincoln's
nose in verdigris?  I think not...  :)

Chris