 General / 24025
Re: Color name for Statue of Liberty Sculpture #3450
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:45:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian B. Alano wrote:

verdigris, according to www.webster.com, can be greenish or bluish, and is only
secondarily associated with copper.
patina, again according to Webster, is exactly the name of
greenish, weather-aged copper.

I looked up the definitions.  To paraphrase, "the color of patina is
verdigris".

Patina is a surface film.  Verdigris is a color.  Both are primarily
associated with rusted copper, but Patina has broader usage, not related to
color or metal.

Quoting <http://www.webster.com>:

Verdigris:
1 a : a green or greenish blue poisonous pigment resulting from the action
of acetic acid on copper and consisting of one or more basic copper acetates
b : normal copper acetate Cu(C2H3O2)2·H2O
2 : a green or bluish deposit especially of copper carbonates formed on
copper, brass, or bronze surfaces

3 definitions, all of them linked to tarnished metal.  2 being the color
thereof.

Patina:
1 a : a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long
exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for
its color
b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use
2 : an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or
established character
3 : a superficial covering or exterior

4 definitions, only one of them associated with the color of tarnished
copper.  And "usually green" could be interpreted as being about the same
as "green or greenish blue".

Whatever.  If someone refers to "liberty green", "gray-green", "green of
Greece", "verdigris", or "patina", we'll know what they mean.

BTW, I was in a craft store the other day, and found a greenish paint
called "Liberty Green".  It looked more like forest green to me.

Steve