 General / 23211
Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 03:56:58 GMT

I know I am looking forward to the Liberty set more than any other expensive set
I want. After the main model, it will be to work out some other copper or bronze
monuments. And the roofs... Also "swimming pool color" places.

In lugnet.general, John Matthews writes:
I am certain that the original designer of the Statue of Liberty understood
that as copper ages it gains a patina.  The patina actually helps to
preserve the metal, and the color is quite remarkable.  These are properties
of copper that make it a desirable material to work with (in buildings),
albeit an expensive material.

And to think that here in the US our lowest form of currency, the penny, is
made of copper...

Modern times are not the first to see the price of copper outstrip the penny. O
zinc wafer. Economies have collapsed before for lack of small change when silver
was more plentiful than copper and tin! (Not that we use silver any more.)

Modern pennies. Hardly any chance for centuries of buildup. I think modern
monies are made more impervious to becoming interesting colors, because we
control what goes into them carefully.