 General / 23229
Re: S@H exclusive minifigure has been shipped! (#3723)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 02:14:34 GMT

Erik Olson <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:G2st8L.HGF@lugnet.com...

Patina, the color coating, is formed by chemical reactions between the • metals,
their impurities, and the nearby dirt and air, so there are identifiable • primary
reaction colors on one hand, and chance mixture on the other. Copper oxide
contributes that green color but other ingredients enter in. It does take
centuries to build up a stunning texture. Accelerated antiquing has been • done by
burying bronze in shit (that valuable industrial commodity.)

Oh well, I guess unless some pigeons want to contribute a lot of it, the
statue won't be getting that kind of tint again.  Although the American
public may well wish for that to happen.

I'm not sure if my leg is being pulled, but one coin dealer was telling me • that
ear wax helps fortify and feed a good brown patina.

A really beautiful patina of whatever color can result from a lucky • combination
of centuries of quiet burial and centuries of safe keeping. I don't • understand
why it was necessary to clean the patina off Liberty.

There was some show that featured the restoration, maybe it's available
somewhere?

I wonder what a search engine would turn up on it?

Ah well, I've got to do lunch here - someone might well come up with the
site in their teeth and let us know!  ;-)

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde