 General / 15843
Re: Fright Knights playing cards (was: Re: My personal FOTW)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 02:49:12 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:
These would have to be one of the most funkiest non-LEGO LEGO products
around.

There's no such thing as a non-LEGO LEGO product -- by definition.

Hmm, is there a term for a LEGO product which is intended to directly
interact with the bricks? In this sense, the decks of cards are not
whatzits, but the various cardboard and plastic playscapes are. Of course
this brings up a whole slew of classification issues.

Some obvious classifications of parts:

Have studs
Are intended to attach to studs
Have a rod element
Have a rod sized clip or hole
Have a Technic pin
Have a Technic hole
Have a 2 finger hinge attachment
Have a 3 finger hinge attachment
Have a 5 finger hinge attachment
Have a 5 slot attachment
Have a ball
Have a socket
Have a tilt hinge socket
Have tilt hinge pins
Have a magnet socket
Fit in a magnet socket
Have a small pin (smaller wheels etal.)
Have a small hole
Have a tiny pin (flowers etal.)
Have a tiny hole

Note that occasional portions of parts may fit multiple categories (for
example tubes will fit over a Technic pin and studs with holes will hold
rods). This list is also not exhaustive.

There are a number of elements which are harder to classify here:

string
sails and flags
playscapes
certain accessories which don't connect to other parts (Scala has some for
sure)
stickers

Is there a useful and definable category which excludes playscapes but
included the Scala parts?

Items which definitely aren't whatzits:

catalogs
idea books
instruction books
most other publications
most boxes (except the few which are playscapes)
playing cards
certain other promotional items (but not keychains and the take apart pens)

Of course the highest grades for set condition include certain non-whatzits
(box, instructions, catalogs and other literature).

Yup, I'm a bit of a compartmentalized dork (but not a Compartmentalized
Dork)...

Frank