 Events / 2217
Re: Brickfair is official....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:38:09 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Webb wrote:

I’m sorry. Brickfair sounded like a cool event to attend right up until this point.

   The possibility of a Spring or Fall event was suggested to me. But my only experience with Lego festivals is in the summer. And since I’m risking approximately $105,000 and months of hard work to make the event happen, I wanted to minimize the variables as much as possible.

And this makes me want to attend the event, why? Telling possible attendees how much you are personally risking on an event is pointless, not to mention off-putting...

I’ve assisted with Brickworld ‘07, Brickfest ‘06 & Brickfest ‘04; donating time, money & LEGO. I’ve got roped into doing things, because no one else would step up to help out. And in the process, I haven’t asked for anything in return.

When Joe started planning Brickfest ‘06, my biggest suggestion to him was to show appreciation to all his volunteers; not that I wanted anything for myself, but the success of an event really depended on the volunteers. Joe confided with me (and a few others) how much he put on the line with BF’06; and given Brickfest’s reputation around DC, it was a pretty ‘safe bet’ that when the bills came due, he’d have no problems paying them off. But the way he did it, never caused any resentment.

When you start talking about how much you personally risk for an event, all you are doing is creating resentment.

   Because I have been to both BrickFest ‘06 and Brickworld ‘07 I have a fair sense of what I can reasonably expect in terms of attendance numbers. Now that BrickFair and Brickworld will co-exist for the first time, that is a new minor variable, but not nearly the risk of testing a whole new season. And I think many folks (myself included) will fly/drive to attend both BrickFair and Brickworld. Perhaps, as you said, a small number will choose one or the other.

Or neither. Not everyone has the money for three events in three consecutive months... Brickworld in Chicago in June, ILTCO/NTS in Anaheim in July, and BrickFair in DC in August.

   I believe the South needs a large-scale Lego festival. How about it Texas? Perhaps they would like to take the Spring :)

And a few of us in Florida have consider throwing a smaller scale event, called SpringBrick. An event not based on the Brickfest/Brickworld type of LEGO event. By nature of spring break, you don’t want to be hauling around a bunch of models; so the event would be more of a show up & let’s build something type of event.

--Mike.