 Events / 2192
Re: Brickfair is official....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:54:26 GMT

In lugnet.events, Ted Godwin wrote:
   Look, not a big deal but there is a difference between a summer fest and a second fest in the fall. BrickWorld took over the summer spot left vacant by BrickFest. BrickFair could have chosen a winter date or a spring date (as no BrickFest has been announced for spring ‘08). They didn’t, that’s unfortunate, but in the end the number of AFOL’s it will affect could probably be counted on one hand. Just might have been nice to leave more options open, that’s all.

I’m sorry if anyone is put off by the timing of the event. Ultimately, when it comes to timing, you cannot possibly please everyone.

The possibility of a Spring or Fall event was suggested to me. But my only experience with Lego festivals is in the summer. And since I’m risking approximately $105,000 and months of hard work to make the event happen, I wanted to minimize the variables as much as possible.

Because I have been to both BrickFest ‘06 and Brickworld ‘07 I have a fair sense of what I can reasonably expect in terms of attendance numbers. Now that BrickFair and Brickworld will co-exist for the first time, that is a new minor variable, but not nearly the risk of testing a whole new season. And I think many folks (myself included) will fly/drive to attend both BrickFair and Brickworld. Perhaps, as you said, a small number will choose one or the other.

Given that I was focused on the Summer, and the Sheraton Hotel was our most realistic venue, they had only 1 weekend available next year (next Summer). I took it.

I believe the South needs a large-scale Lego festival. How about it Texas? Perhaps they would like to take the Spring :)

Again, I’m sorry if the timing is bad for you. I personally don’t see the issue when comparing festivals on two opposite sides of the country. I didn’t even consider that. Chicago was a consideration. But not NWBCon.

Todd, www.BrickFair.com