 Events / 2181
  Brickfair is official....

This was posted in the WAMALUG and WAMAltc yahoogroups earlier today: BrickFair 2008 is official. Plans have been in the works to bring the LEGO festival back to the Washington DC area. As of today it is official. Next summer's event is once again (...) (17 years ago, 13-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, FTX) !!

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Looks good... in fact the website looks great, I wish I had that talent. And it's good to know the days well in advance. Thanks for the heads-up, Joe! Now if I can just hook up a wire from the balcony to the far wall, and run a NXTbot across (...) (17 years ago, 13-Oct-07, to lugnet.events)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Argh! Many of us have prior family engagements for Labor Day weekends. That was a poor date choice. Not to mention the traffic will be clogged with so many more vacationers. Bah. Adrian (17 years ago, 13-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official

(...) You have Labor Day 2008 plans already? C'mon, your family will be your family the whole year. ; ) David (17 years ago, 13-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official

(...) Yeah. I've gone camping with them every year for the last 9 years. Tis a tradition, doncha know. I suppose Lego is important enough for me to break tradition, right? Adrian (17 years ago, 13-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official

(...) Well, you could always take them camping in Tysons Corner, Virginia... (There's some vignette material right there. "Well, this is a model of what I would've been doing this weekend.") (17 years ago, 13-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) It also seems an odd choice to be so close to BrickCon (formerly NWBrickCon) which has been early October for several years. A month apart makes it more difficult to attend both. I would have thought that sometime Feb - Apr would have been (...) (17 years ago, 14-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Not to bust anyone's bubble, but the DC Festival has always occurred in a window from about mid-June to late August. It's not any closer to BrickCon than it would be to BrickWorld if it occurred earlier in the summer (say, like, July), or any (...) (17 years ago, 14-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Look, not a big deal but there is a difference between a summer fest and a second fest in the fall. BrickWorld took over the summer spot left vacant by BrickFest. BrickFair could have chosen a winter date or a spring date (as no BrickFest has (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) In my opinion, chosing a winter date runs the risk of weather spoiling a good event for travelers. (...) I am hoping to attend both BrickWorld and BrickFair. -- Don (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) I'm sorry if anyone is put off by the timing of the event. Ultimately, when it comes to timing, you cannot possibly please everyone. The possibility of a Spring or Fall event was suggested to me. But my only experience with Lego festivals is (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Had BrickFair been done in the winter or spring I would have been more apt to attend. However, given that BrickFair and BrickWorld are only a few months apart, I will have to give my support to Brickworld. I can't justify going to two giant, (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Todd, I think the choice of dates is about as good as it could be. For me, summer is best (as I recall, fall starts sometime after labor day). The thought of driving 600 miles with my MOCs in Feb/Mar is not pleasant. I suspect the 10 hour trip (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) No need to apologize. As I said it will not be that many people affected and really, how many Brick events can we all go to every year? :) Of course I would like to go to this one because I actually lived about ten minutes away from Tysons (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Sounds great. But what's the deal with the name change? Why does every brick conference have to have a new name? I don't really care what name we used. For years, Brickfest was the standard name for this event, but now I guess those are only (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) The names are proprietary; they are owned by various people. The name BrickFest is a bit debatable (I think 4 people claim rights to it) but one person commands $3,000 fee to use it. I figured, "To heck with that, I'll start my own name and (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) For the short form, check out this post: (URL) partway down the line "$3,000 that went to AMH Productions for use of the BrickFest name". When people use a name for an event, they very often reserve some rights to the name (a good idea - as (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Again, I must digress. The name of the event neither makes nor breaks it. Although the last 'BrickFest' did occur in Portland, there has been no announcement since, official or otherwise, as to when or where or even if another BrickFest will (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Actually, Brickworld took the spot left vacant by House of Bricks. It was never meant to replace what most assumed would have be a DC Brickfest07. (17 years ago, 16-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Well, I think it's pretty darn petty to insist on a $3,000 fee. If Brickfest is off the table, I would hope that we as a community can come up with a name that be used relatively freely. I do agree that certain standards should be maintained, (...) (17 years ago, 16-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Well this leads me to all the "boring" reasons I didn't list. Let's see here. Just speaking for myself, I dunno how many other fest leaders share my thoughts... 1. I would not wish to share the BrickFair name and watch someone else fail, thus (...) (17 years ago, 16-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Several members of TexLUG have talked about it and even made some preliminary inquiries, but there are several factors moving against us. There are several cities in Texas (and central southern US) that would be excellent for hosting an event, (...) (17 years ago, 16-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) We have a huge advantage in that BrickFair is filling the void from previous events, so we know what to expect. In that regard we are taking less risk. Tony, your best best would be to start the way BrickFest did and just get as many AFOLs (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) (URL) This guy> can't come, either - he'll be at (URL) Burning Man>. Marc Nelson Jr. (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Have you questioned him, Marc, about where the profits are going? (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX) !!

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) No need - Burning Man's financial info is (URL) here> for all to see. (URL) one of the founders>: Each year after Burning Man, Harvey prepares the "AfterBurn Report," a generalized accounting that gives the event a sense of transparency. (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Not in the least. For one thing, they shun commerce. And they let people run around neked. .02, JOHN (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) So, If I had to guess, it sounds like John wants ALL AFOL events to allow people to "run around neked(sic)" :) Im in. Chris can janey come too? (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Uh, Chris, we want ppl to attend events, not run from them. Besides, I can barely handle John fully clothed! Janey, "You can keep your hat on, Red Brick" (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) who CAN handle John? And put him in the same room with Teddy, and Nick. ummm, ya know. on second thought, I think I will stick with Swinging(1) (...) Chris 1. R22 - Robot Swinging www.rtltoronto.com (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Scream "Ma!" all you want, just leave me out of this. (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Phew! Is it getting hot in here? :-) JOHN (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) <ahem> I meant that I thought BM was a poor analogy to an AFOL event. Chris, you are projecting again (and maybe protruding) Okay, FUT OT.F now, kids JOHN (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) :) dont laugh, we got our bread didn't we? Chris (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) ohhh...hhh - ok. see, that makes more sense. (...) just looking for a place to hang my hat... as it were. (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Well, keep searching; you're bound it find it eventually>;-D JOHN (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Yes John, you have my attention. (...) Is there a good analogy for an AFOL event? (...) Im prepared to pontificate the protrusions and resists protesting any projections, is that safe? (Wow, apologies for the alliteration and the pathetic (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Awww, Teddy, I think you belong in the middle, wink. Janey "Red Brick" (Although, I did learn something from that whole "family" moment. Public restaurants shouldn't necessarily be for ALL the "public", some ppl should just eat at home, not (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Heaven? ("Is this heaven?" "No, Brickworld!") Your dreamy, beautiful eyes? Conclusion: Sure! (...) <blush> TMI (...) And it's nice, fine white sand, too! B-) JOHN (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

In lugnet.events, Todd Webb wrote: I'm sorry. Brickfair sounded like a cool event to attend right up until this point. (...) And this makes me want to attend the event, why? Telling possible attendees how much you are personally risking on an event (...) (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Whoa, that's an Awesome name! Good one! B-) JOHN (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Offending you or anyone else certainly wasn't my intent. Someone questioned the logic of the scheduling, and I answered them, perhaps a bit too honestly. That tends to be my M.O. I'm sorry you so put off by my comment. Todd (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) It was a hypothetical LEGO convention name suggested by Robin Werner: (URL) SpringBrick 2003 (spring?) - Central Florida Area, USA> This name came up in a GFLUG/GFLTC meeting earlier this year. The club threw out a few ideas that we thought (...) (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Offending you or anyone else certainly wasn't my intent. Someone questioned the logic of the BrickFair scheduling, and I answered them, perhaps a bit too honestly. That tends to be my M.O. I'm sorry you were so put off by my comment. Todd (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Headlight Brick Battle! Who gets to be (URL) Chairman Kaga>? That's a very interesting idea, and a clever way to avoid hauling MOCs across the country. I hope to hear more about it in the future. Marc Nelson Jr. (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) No, not offended. It's just experience talking... The questions were more directed to you to sell your event to me. Why should I go to BrickFair? When you post about how much of a risk you are taking on to put on this event, that not a selling (...) (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) I disagree, as Todd seems to have been 'put on the carpet' for the telling of his expenses, the fact that he had such a great feeling for the event that he was willing to put up this or any amount to see it happen is commendable. I really (...) (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Congratulations. This post and all who highlighted it have illustrated exactly why some people believe Lugnet is not the same place it once was. Chastising and baiting those who have legitimate personal concerns and differing opinions on (...) (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Anyone who has ran event or have been involved in running an event knows that it's an expensive ordeal. It takes a lot of time & volunteers (or employees) to pull a good conference off. I commend Todd as well for disclosing the financial (...) (17 years ago, 19-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Sorry to follow up to my own post, but I honestly don't think Todd was being self-righteous or resentful, but just need to show a little more tact. When I first read his comments, I thought to myself why is he making it a point to reveal how (...) (17 years ago, 19-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

In lugnet.events, Michael Huffman wrote: (snip) (...) Mike, just to chime in... I'm implementing some things that address your concerns. I won't say more because I'm really not in a position to, as I am still working on those aspects. Advertising is (...) (17 years ago, 19-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

In lugnet.events, Todd Webb wrote: --snip-- (...) --snip-- (...) WOW! Todd, that's a lot more risk than Joe signed on for, I believe, last year with the same hotel. Have they increased their stake as well or are they simply passing the risk on to (...) (17 years ago, 24-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) And I'm officially creeped out...just kidding john (but really, john naked with the hat on or off, hat off is just too much skin). I'm sorry that the burning man dude can't go to the LEGO event. might I suggest a building challenge for the (...) (17 years ago, 24-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) ew (17 years ago, 24-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) We've tried that for many years now within the state (i.e. the TexLUG group). The most we've ever pulled together for any event is probably near 15 people. Out of that, there are only 4 or 5 'regulars' that keep the group going. If we did (...) (17 years ago, 24-Oct-07, to lugnet.events)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) I see what this is about.... suffering from a little (URL) peladophobia> are we, Steve? Because, physically, you seem to be reacting in the exact (URL) way!> Beast! :-) JOHN (17 years ago, 24-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) No, John is saying he sells T-Shirts and therefore has two strikes against Burning Man. They shun commerce so no T-Shirt sales and people running around naked do not wear T-shirts. HAHAHAHA Todd (17 years ago, 26-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) K, I actually LOL'd on that one... Dave K (17 years ago, 26-Oct-07, to lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Brickfair is official....

(...) Hey, I somewhat resemble this remark!! (B)enjamin (M)edinets (17 years ago, 27-Oct-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)