 Events / 2198
Re: Brickfair is official....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.events, William R. Ward wrote:

But what's the deal with the name change?

For the short form, check out this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=2051

Specificly, partway down the line "$3,000 that went to AMH Productions for use
of the BrickFest name". When people use a name for an event, they very often
reserve some rights to the name (a good idea - as otherwise, somebody else may
grab the rights to that name after you've spent years working up the publicity
behind it). But if those people then control that name - and can charge you, or
keep you from using it, or even order you to remove said name from all your
literature and event materials... a rather expensive "twist".

For years, Brickfest was the standard name for this
event, but now I guess those are only going to be in
Portland.

Not neccessarily. I suspect those (Brickfests) can pretty well happen anywhere,
anywhen, that somebody wants to negotiate for the name, meet all the standards
those folks (the owners of the name) specify, and pay for the right to do so.
The fact that new names/events keep popping up may represent the diversification
of the groups, or the difficulty in securing a single name.

--
Brian Davis